Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #1

Share |

Best way to frame this shed?.

I am building an 8x8 shed for storage but i want two oppossing walls to be basically fully accessible but at least 6ft of door space.. Its going on skids as well. Shed roof, just looking opinions on best options. I plan on making the doors. DO i just stick frame it and put 2 36-40 inch doors in the middle with headers? Post and beam frame it? just wondering what your would do. plan on siding with T111 type stuff and making doors of same (with framing behind them) Just dont want to jeopardize the integrity of it in anyway thanks
organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #2

anyone?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
STAFF

Sounds like you have a good handle on the construction, I think you are on the right track. On the T-111 you might want to make sure the bottom couple of feet are sealed really good as that is where most T-111 rots from water splashing back up on it.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #4

^^^ no preference though?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #5

frame the openings,hang the siding,mark the door holes with a level,saw the siding out,measure a door frame,build the doors laying flat,mount with piano hinge(full lenght)on inside wall framing attach osb shear panel.
Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #6

I'd frame it like anyother opening using a 2x8or 10 for the header with possible 'y bracing' transferring back to the trimmers.

- I'd have at least 48" or 4 studs each side of the king studs to attach sheathing to.

Last edited by ndemerly; 08-28-2011 at 12:08 AM.
ndemerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
i am building an 8x8 shed for storage but i want two oppossing walls to be basically fully accessible but at least 6ft of door space.. Its going on skids as well. Shed roof, just looking opinions on best options. I plan on making the doors. Do i just stick frame it and put 2 36-40 inch doors in the middle with headers? Post and beam frame it? Just wondering what your would do. Plan on siding with t111 type stuff and making doors of same (with framing behind them) just dont want to jeopardize the integrity of it in anyway thanks
hi,build your shed with studs 16"oc and to get the most of your wall space(for shelves,benches,etc)make the doors no more than you will need.shed roof is fine but you will need a header for the rafter load(with it being a 8'x8' ,you can get away with 2 2x4's with osb between(or scrap t-111;,also t-111 is good choice for the siding and doors...have fun
maverick34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndemerly View Post
I'd frame it like anyother opening using a 2x8or 10 for the header with possible 'y bracing' transferring back to the trimmers.

- I'd have at least 48" or 4 studs each side of the king studs to attach sheathing to.
I can have 48 on each side. the whole wall is only eight ft.
The Following User Says Thank You to organick For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (08-29-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbledust View Post
osb shear panel.
meaning osb over the backside of the door frame? Ive seen shear panels in walls before so I assume thats what you mean
Old 08-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #10

An 8X8 shed does NOT need a 2 X 8 or heavier header...there is basically no load above the door. And the OSB on the inside of the wall with the door is a perfect solution to stiffen it and tie in the header.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missouri Bound For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (09-08-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick34 View Post
hi,build your shed with studs 16"oc and to get the most of your wall space(for shelves,benches,etc)make the doors no more than you will need.shed roof is fine but you will need a header for the rafter load(with it being a 8'x8' ,you can get away with 2 2x4's with osb between(or scrap t-111;,also t-111 is good choice for the siding and doors...have fun
well its sort of just for storage. I dont really want to be able to walk and do things in there. Just store things.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #12

Quote:
meaning osb over the backside of the door frame? Ive seen shear panels in walls before so I assume thats what you mean

No,keep the door lite...put the osb to the door frame and to the edge (corners)of the door.If you use plywood siding T-111,than 24" centers on the studs is ok.

ps...depot has sheds to look at.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbledust View Post
No,keep the door lite...put the osb to the door frame and to the edge (corners)of the door.If you use plywood siding T-111,than 24" centers on the studs is ok.

ps...depot has sheds to look at.
oh so just wall the inside with osb.....like a wall shear panel.......i just misread the way it was written I think. thanks or am i totally misreading now......I am confused by the to the corner of the frame and door....do you mean from the door fram to the corner of the wall??

Last edited by organick; 08-29-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #14

Have a look at this Derksen Portable Buildings
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
oh so just wall the inside with osb.....like a wall shear panel.......i just misread the way it was written I think. thanks or am i totally misreading now......I am confused by the to the corner of the frame and door....do you mean from the door fram to the corner of the wall??

Yes,when you nail the interior panel to the entire length of the wall frame it will be very strong.make sure to brace the framing in a plumb position first.