Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Best solution for low-par floorboards

I am currently in the process of having a new carpet installed.

I live in an old house and a lot of the current fixings etc., are not correctly done.

One of these "fixings" is the skirting board does not hit the floor boards, so in some sections the gap roughly looks around 2cm.

The option I went with at Wakes (carpet store) was a big thick rug, and a thin - felt back carpet.

The floor boards have a gap between each of them as you could expect, so this will be noticeable on the areas outside the rug where the thin carpet will lay.

I am personally OK with this and have also thought about the potential idea of having a small bevel to lay on the outside edges on the thin carpet against the skirting board, thus removing the noticeable gap which I'm sure the thin carpet will create.

I was given a few options at wakes to fix this, either have wooden (can't remember the proper name) lay on top of the floor boards removing any seams that would otherwise be visible with floor board gaps (which I can get from B & Q)... or having very thick underlay with an action-pack carpet, though this would eventually sink down and gaps would again come through, or using the idea I had and have the big rug over-lay it.

I don't plan to stay here for much more but I did want to decorate a few bits and bobs for perhaps this last year.

Now, the main issue I have currently is that my mother is saying that draft is going to be a huge problem if I don't put a fair amount of underlay down first. I'd like to know if she is correct in her views.

My questions are firstly your general opinion.
If I have got anything wrong and what other options I can be going for..

Finally, the solution I should be taking perhaps differently to which I am doing now.

Regards,

Mike.

joshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 0

Best solution for low-par floorboards

It sounds as tho your house was ballooned framed. I would install what is called a BASE SHOE moulding. Its 9/16" thick by 7/8" high. there should of been one there if you have wood floors. the purpose of this moulding is to cover any gaps from the floor to the wall. it is suppose to be butted tight to the wall and nailed to the floor so it can move up and down with the movement of the floor( settling,shrinkage,etc,etc.) most likely there was one there and was removed over time to install wall to wall carpet.
as for the drafts yes she is right, if the walls and floor are not properly insulated you will notice a draft coming in from the gaps between the floor and wall. Hint before you install the shoe mould, caulk around the base to fill in any cracks and then install the shoe. GOOD Luck BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote