Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #1

Share |

Best Non Toxic Metal For Pine and Birch Wood

Hi. I am having a cat tree built for me soon and the two choices in hardware are nickel and bronze. I am not even sure what type of hardware it is. Does anyone know if there is a non toxic metal that would work well with pine and birch construction? Thanks.

catsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
(the original)

I really don't understand what your concern is here. Do your cats eat metal?
The hardware doesn't give off noxious gases or particles. A few people are allergic to nickel and get dermatitis from prolonged contact. Bronze has been used in cutlery for ages. Sawdust and sanding dust from both birch and pine are much more common irritants, though usually no problem for anyone in finished lumber form.

If you must have a metal that you can be sure isn't toxic, you'll need to go to a custom jeweler for your hardware......the simple answer is GOLD.

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #3

I guess my main concern is that the coating on the metal, which I am assuming is what makes it either have the look of nickel or more of a darker bronze look, will flake off. And if that the hardware is from China, that also makes me worried too, which is why I posted this question.

But thanks for your response.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
(the original)

Ahhh......you didn't say this hardware was coated to look like something else. It gets even simpler now, just use real uncoated nickel, bronze, or stainless steel. And if you don't want Chinese imports, don't buy them. They aren't the only ones who make hardware, you know.

Last edited by ratherbefishin'; 06-30-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #5

I actually don't know whether it is coated or a solid metal, I will ask her soon. I just wanted to ask this question in a forum where there are people who are knowledgable about carpentry. Can you recommend a website that sells good quality hardware?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
(the original)

Yeah, it's a good idea to ask her.
Solid is best, but most decorative hardware that's been color modified will be anodized or patinized and doesn't have an actual coating that can peel. I'm assuming from the lack of info that's what we're looking at here? Woodcraft, Rockler, and Lee Valley might be some good places to start for that type of hardware.

If you need structural hardware, I believe all the stainless steel items from Simpson Strong-Tie are still made in USA. Some of those could be useful in this application.

But give your cats a little more credit, too. As childish as they might act sometimes, they're not like human infants who will eat almost anything they can put in their mouths. You've been enslaved by top-of-the-food-chain predators who have found an easier life, at your expense.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #7

Gold is actually toxic when ingested! ...That doesn't happen often, but...

No metal is perfectly safe ^-^

Sounds like the two solutions you've been offered are both basically non-toxic, as described by ASTM.

-Crissa
CKentavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
(the original)

Crissa, it's apparent you're neither a patissiere....
nor a sommeliere.....

Gold at 23-24k (96-100% pure), is non-toxic. It's a noble metal unaffected by acids and other chemicals in our bodies. It passes right through.
So why eat it, you might ask? Dunno, guess some people just have more money than common sense.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Many times gold for plating is suspended in a cyanide solution. Now that's TOXIC .
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Retired Cabinetmaker

My cat drags in rats the size of a small dog, mostly with their guts strewn across the welcome mat. She wrestles snakes and leaves them squirming on the kitchen floor......our lizard population is reduced to body parts left on windowsills.........
Our neighbours Jack Russel is now missing.......he had a chain collar and Tibbles has a grin
Not too sure I'd be worried about toxic metals......nothing seems to phase ours.