Best Moulding Wood - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

best moulding wood

I'm going to install all new baseboards and door/window casings. I have nice old red oak floors I just refinished and want to go with a natural wood look without spending the money for oak. What kind of wood would be a cheaper alternative and not clash with the floors? And is it something I would want to stain and clear coat?

Advertisement

Cliffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

best moulding wood

You are stuck----moldings come in --Pine---(very different look than oak)---Poplar (green tones usually mean paint only) --Oak--out of your budget?

Then the woods get really expensive---cherry-walnut--other cabinet woods--Making your own is often more costly that buying the trims premade---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

best moulding wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffrock View Post
I'm going to install all new baseboards and door/window casings. I have nice old red oak floors I just refinished and want to go with a natural wood look without spending the money for oak. What kind of wood would be a cheaper alternative and not clash with the floors? And is it something I would want to stain and clear coat?
There was once a company that made moldings that were pine with an oak veneer, they called the product, "Oak Over". You might look into that as a lower cost option. If you can't find the company, let me know, I have some in the shop with the label on it.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 158

best moulding wood

if you find a good supply of poplar, you can find peices that are almost entirely white or with a light brown tone. the light brown can pass as maple or birch once stained. the whiter tone can pass as cherry. oak has a distinct grain pattern which ash is similar to
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

best moulding wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffrock
Oak and pine are as cheap as it gets-without buying fake oak printed moldings. MDF moldings are reasonable but need to be painted.
Justgaff is offline   Reply With Quote