Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #1

Share |

Best carpenter-style tool belt?

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new tool belt for my construction-worker husband. He does a lot of roofing and general residential contracting.

I know he wants real leather, carpenter-style. The belt and bags need to be incredibly durable; one hook each for his hammer and drill would be great. A shoulder harness option is also preferable.

I'd like to hear from experienced DIYers as well as any professional carpenters or construction workers.

What do you use? How long have you had it? Has it lasted through rough, daily use in all types of weather?

Thank you!

Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It is all about where you put tools you work with and where you want them when you go to reach for them. A person will more than likely take what you get back to exchange it unless you can match something in use. I think you would be better off getting him a gift card so he can pick his own.

Tool liners for buckets are not expensive and I had lots of them for different sets of things in addition to my tool belt. You could get him one of those with the gift card for the tool belt in one of the pockets.

If you do decide to try and get a belt, and you are sold on leather, look for quality stitched seams, robust rivets, solid fasteners, buckles, etc. Like luggage, there is no such thing as cheap versions.

My grandmother always warned me never to buy a hat for a lady (she repeated this often as she lost it at the end). It was good advice though and you face the male equivalent.

Last edited by user1007; 10-24-2012 at 05:46 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Mod

I agree with sdseter one this one, I know I wouldn’t want anyone trying to pick out bags for me.

If you want to have some fun with it buy him something like THIS then stash a gift card inside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Duckweather (10-27-2012), mae-ling (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
DIY staff

Yep--I agree----I have a pile of bags that I picked out myself---and tossed aside-----one picked out as a gift would be tough---
Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

if hes using it all the time your much better off getting him a gift card.. not every person wants the exact same nailbag off the self, and depending on the tasks you sometimes need different toolbag setups

personally i have 3 different sets. one is for framing and siding which is a custom set up with a few different bags that i swap in and out to allow for carrying different tools and fasteners. then i have a occidental leather suspendavest which is basically a vest that acts as suspenders that nail bags can hang off which i wear for hanging trim.. then i have a traditional leather 5 pocket bag that i wear solely for working in the shop building cabinets

if he really wants quality and something that will last a very long time.. go with occidental leather www.bestbelt.com. they are only carried in high end tool shops and contractor supplies other wise youll have to order online.. though their far more expensive than belts sold in big box stores. .the quality far exceeds the everyday store belts
Attached Thumbnails
Best carpenter-style tool belt?-photo641.jpg   Best carpenter-style tool belt?-photo642.jpg  
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #6

Have to agree, my belt is really old, maybe 15 years, it could use a few patches.
Problem is, if I replaced it, I want exactly what I have now.
I also use a carpenters apron, is handy for working in tight places like stairs.
All I need is a tape measure, pencil, square ....
Old 10-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
if he really wants quality and something that will last a very long time.. go with occidental leather www.bestbelt.com. they are only carried in high end tool shops and contractor supplies other wise youll have to order online.. though their far more expensive than belts sold in big box stores. .the quality far exceeds the everyday store belts
This is what my comment about there being no such thing as cheap luggage or tool belts. Both should be capable of being taken to a repair shop if needed. You will see things like double stitching, really nicely tanned and fitted leather and the list goes on.

My ex traveled almost as much as I did and, when we first met, would come home screaming because the zippers on her little roll around popped open and her undies fell all over a turnstyle. Or a wheel would go lame/break or the telescoping handle would not work. She would run out and get a new one for $100 until I tired of the whining and paid $800 for a real one she has had, with no problems, hauling it all over the World for 30 years now. If a zipper, wheel or telescoping handle ever does fail? They will fix it or give her a new piece of luggage. It is not trendy looking. Just black ballistic material with nice frame, seams, fasteners and all.

I am done with it now but I bet my tool belt for hammer, cordless drill and all is 25 years old with no major signs of failing. I honestly had not thought about it. As mentioned, I got into liking shlepping buckets with pockets around for soldering pipe and another one for electrical. And the new ballistic, not leather, tool belts out of synthetics like kevlar are lighter.

I never got into carpenter's aprons but remember my Dad and Grandfather dressed in them with pouches for different nails different places to each of them. I figure my parents spent a fortune on orthodonture to give me a "ship" eating grin that can hold a pound of 20p nails at a time. I learned vantriloquism and projecting a voice that only speaks California contractor Spanish too. And steel nails are rich in necessary metals we need in our diet!?

Of course, thanks to nail guns, a generation or two no longer even knows what a 16p or 20p nail is (Or a square. Or a level). Holding a clip of nails between my teeth just ruins my act.

Last edited by user1007; 10-24-2012 at 05:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (10-27-2012), hand drive (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #8

I too would love one that I could change the pockets on. Was looking at going that way then got out of the business.
Some times in reno work one of those pouches that electricians use with all the different pockets/holders would have been nice, When hanging drywall wouldn't want it.
So a belt you can change pouches on can be a big plus.

Love the idea of some cheap/toy belt with the gift card. I got one that is cheap and not even good for a toy, not sure where it came from or why I got it!
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
I too would love one that I could change the pockets on. Was looking at going that way then got out of the business.
Some times in reno work one of those pouches that electricians use with all the different pockets/holders would have been nice, When hanging drywall wouldn't want it.
So a belt you can change pouches on can be a big plus.

Love the idea of some cheap/toy belt with the gift card. I got one that is cheap and not even good for a toy, not sure where it came from or why I got it!
Not sure I like buying a toy belt that will never get used and is never going to end up with a kid and landfilled which is why I suggested $5-10 for a bucket pocket thing. For others who have posted and admit to buying belts for themselves they do not like that are sitting around? Why not drop them off at a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store or Habitat project. Someone might put them to use.

Anyhow, consensus seems to be even those of us who worked at this madness for ages would not attempt to buy a belt for another without assuming there would be good possibility of the person saying "How Nice!? I Love It!" NOT. OP, whatever you do, do not embroider it or something like you can do for luggage.

Last edited by user1007; 10-24-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Not sure I like buying a toy belt that will never get used and is never going to end up with a kid and landfilled which is why I suggested $5-10 for a bucket pocket thing. Anyhow, consensus seems to be even those of us who worked at this madness for ages would not attempt to buy a belt for another without assuming there would be good possibility of the person saying "How Nice!? I Love It!" NOT. OP, whatever you do, do not embroider it or something like you can do for luggage.

Aww you party pooper...how do ya know it won't end up with a kid?

Tis the season... at least that's what the tube's wanting me to believe.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester;1037248[COLOR=Red
NOT[/COLOR]. OP, whatever you do, embroider it ...like you can do for luggage.

Great idea, you pet love name for him per chance?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter

honestly i work with a guy that wears a toolbelt that looks like that one posted earlier and its pretty pathetic.. hes asking to borrow tools constantly because he cant carry anything in it.. if your doing it for a living you have to be able to carry a hammer, tape measure, square, pencil. cats paw. along with a set of snips at times, pliers. screwdriver.. chalk line and still enough space to carry a good load of 2-4 different fasteners

as for quality leather, your not going to find anything much better than the occi`s. unless you go to a leather guy who can make a custom set of bags for yoiu.. i know a few guys that have gone that route but it wasnt cheap
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #13

Really, I would not want anyone to buy or choose a tool belt for me, would be like buying a sweater 2 sizes to small for the wife .... *cough*
Evstarr (10-27-2012), kwikfishron (10-24-2012), user1007 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post

Great idea, your pet love name for him per chance?
:lau ghing:
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
Really, I would not want anyone to buy or choose a tool belt for me, would be like buying a sweater 2 sizes to small for the wife .... *cough*
How in the World did you manage to miss a gift sweater size by two full sizes? In any year? We both know she has at least four closets?

Tags
carpentry, construction, leather, tool belt, tools