Beadboard Wainscoting Down Stairs - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Beadboard Wainscoting Down Stairs

Hi Everyone,

Needed to bounce a situation off you all. I'm planning on adding solid plank beadboard wainscoting on the walls of my side entry way and down the stairs to the basement. I'd like to use the standard tongue and groove 5/8" thick planks. My question comes in with the baseboard, or more particularly, how you handle the baseboard down stairs.

I'm attaching a few pictures. I have about 3/4" of exposed skirtboard on the stairs, after I rip off the existing trim. If I add 5/8" beadboard and put base on top of it, it'll be protruding into the stairs and likely unsightly. Any ideas?

I can likely rabbet out the top of the base to make up some of the depth (and it may look better fitting it that way anyways), but I'll still have a high buildup.

I'd rather not go with thinner beadboard or sheets. And I'd like to avoid cutting out the plaster, but I'm not afraid to do whatever will turn out best. I'll have some drywall/plaster work when I tear out the shingles (yes, on the inside of my house). I also had the idea of adding a 1x2 or so on top of the skirtboard for the base to sit on, but that would protrude into the stairs.

I should probably mention I'd like the keep the baseboard style that I have at the top of the stairs as it matches the rest of the house.

I'm a little stumped, and like to get everything planned out before I start. If anyone has any pictures of examples, that would be great.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Beadboard Wainscoting Down Stairs-_mg_5591.jpg   Beadboard Wainscoting Down Stairs-_mg_5596.jpg   Beadboard Wainscoting Down Stairs-_mg_5597.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by jimmycrackcode; 02-07-2012 at 09:30 PM.
jimmycrackcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

What is it your trying to match?
Easy job if you just go with Birch panels. Going to look really odd with the wood hanging over the skirts.
Upside down back band moulding would make it look better but not much. Look it up.

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 02-07-2012 at 10:14 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I wanted to use the existing base at the top of the stairs if possible. The entire rest of the house uses that base profile and would be nice if it all matched.

I'm guessing this issue comes up any time you try to add solid beadboard planks to existing stairs - was curious to see what other people did.

Thanks.
jimmycrackcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 572

I would remove that base, Install the panels and reinstall the base over it.
When you remove that base cap moulding on top of the skirt you could buy some that matchs what you have on the base you have now.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

After you remove that base and install the paneling. I think you could notch your base enough so It could cap off the skirt and actually sit right on the corners of the stair treads. From there you could cut little triangles to fit on each stair bringing the skirt back out past the base, or better yet, flush with the base and then patched to look like one big piece. I dont have exact measurements of exposed skirt after that little base trim is removed. If your base would only overhang just a tad bit, find a solid wood base with same design as that composite and just sand it flush with the existing skirt. If it overhangs a lot, build out the skirt.
conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,148

i would remove the baseboards along with the cap molding on top of the skirtboard,, from there install a 1 " or 1 1/4" x 1/2" peice of bullnose on teh skirtboard which will create a reveal and break up the transistion from wainscotting to the skirt.. then install the wainscotting right to the floor and then the baseboard goes back on over top

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote