Beadboard Ceiling - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Beadboard Ceiling

We are having someone install a beadboard ceiling in our new sunroom. They used the large boards (I guess it might be called "faux beadboard" since it's not put on plank by plank.) We have seams between the boards now, both horizontal and perpendicular to the boards and they are suggesting covering those seams with trim. I am concerned with the asthetics of this solution. Is this common to do? Will it look ok?

Advertisement

kgrotjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Beadboard Ceiling

Common for cheap jobs if you asked for real bead board get it. It is comman to hide the joints with trim if you use the cheap sheets($20)

Advertisement

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Beadboard Ceiling

Hacks - using the wrong (cheap) type of material for such a job.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Beadboard Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Hacks - using the wrong (cheap) type of material for such a job.
why call them hacks? maybe they met the owners budget...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 580

Beadboard Ceiling

When faced with a project that I know is bad practice or that can not be made to look good within the budget, I will offer to the the work the correct way, or do something different that will fit the budget. I will not do shoddy work for anyone, no matter what the budget is.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #6

Beadboard Ceiling

Thanks for the responses.
So is it possible to install the 4x8' panels w/o getting obvious seams?
Do you think covering the seams with some sort of trim will look cheap, or does it look OK?
kgrotjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #7

Beadboard Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
why call them hacks? maybe they met the owners budget...
They used the wrong material for the job. Real Bead board, and other bead board sections, can be purchased in longer lengths.
Generally, a professionl person or company, will not agree to do any work with substandard/wrong/cheap material (for the job) ....in addition, they will not do a job, if they know that the final product will look like garbage (instead of fine custom work).
Installing a beadboard ceiling is custom work. In fact, doing any kind of work on a ceiling (because it is so visible) is custom work....
Old 02-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Beadboard Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
They used the wrong material for the job. Real Bead board, and other bead board sections, can be purchased in longer lengths.
Generally, a professionl person or company, will not agree to do any work with substandard/wrong/cheap material (for the job) ....in addition, they will not do a job, if they know that the final product will look like garbage (instead of fine custom work).
Installing a beadboard ceiling is custom work. In fact, doing any kind of work on a ceiling (because it is so visible) is custom work....
I understand your opinion, and I like the way you work, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so what one finds acceptable and what one gets paid for does not mean they are a hack, I guess my only point is, you get what you pay for...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #9

Beadboard Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I understand your opinion, and I like the way you work, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so what one finds acceptable and what one gets paid for does not mean they are a hack, I guess my only point is, you get what you pay for...
Actually, beauty should be in the mind of the professional contractor who is hired to do a project. They are supposed to be the ones that have the experience, know-how, & eye for detail.... to bring a build or remodeling project to a custom, detailed and beautiful finish.
Their decisions, their forethought, their planning, their recommendations for materials, their design concepts, their workmanship.....should be something that couild be put on the cover of a magazine. If they can't provide that, IMHO - they need to step into a different line of work.
This is one of the points that separates the "professional contractor" from the ...."I hired a couple of guys to do a job for me"...

Example: We constantly consult with, alter material choices, make recommendations, review materials and designs with clients, etc, regardless of the job size. It is our responsibilty to give them the finished product that they envisioned.

In the original poster's situation, they did not envision a "seam" down sections of the beadboard ceilings. (Neither would I)
That would have been the first point of discussion, per material choices, far before the work even getting started.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-08-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Beadboard Ceiling

sounds to me like you get what you pay for.Getting the "right material"installed correctly will cost much more.(were they the low bidder?)
johnrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #11

Beadboard Ceiling

What then, specifically, would be the proper material for a job like this in a 12x12 room, so that no seems are visible? I am considering doing a kitchen ceiling right now (and the 4'x8' beadboard panels were my first thought as they are obviously less expensive.) Also, is this a good material for a kitchen ceiling as far as cleanup from grease, smoke, etc?
intheloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #12

Beadboard Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheloop View Post
What then, specifically, would be the proper material for a job like this in a 12x12 room, so that no seems are visible? I am considering doing a kitchen ceiling right now (and the 4'x8' beadboard panels were my first thought as they are obviously less expensive.) Also, is this a good material for a kitchen ceiling as far as cleanup from grease, smoke, etc?
Yes, a ceiling with almost 1,000LF of small grooves would be a great choice for a kitchen. I hope you have a few hundred Q-tips and lots of time to clean that mofo.
bobbyacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
Learning by Doing

Beadboard Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheloop View Post
I'll spare you the snarky answer, No bead-board is not a good ceiling for a kitchen.

Are you opposed to dry-walling it? With good install and some decent paint it will be a seam free surface that will be easily cleanable.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Beadboard Ceiling

FWIW, we have paneling on our ceiling (let's not go there). The builder put faux beams to cover the seams. Looks much better than trim would IMHO.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:54 AM   #15
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,044

Beadboard Ceiling

Beadboard panels (4 x 8 sheets) can be installed on walls or overhead with virtually no visible seam IF the installer will take the time to prep the edges of the panels properly. This will involve using a block plane to trim the back/top side of the "groove" and a little off of the "tongue" of each panel to that the panels fit together tighter than they normally do. Also chamfering the end edges of the panels will make them fit tighter. I have also used plywood sheets to do ceilings by chamfering all of the edges that would show and the results would look nice. They say that patience has virtues, I just can't find any lady named Patience . Thanks, David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote