Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #1

Share |

beadboard

I am planning to use beadboard in a kitchen - ceiling to floor. Should I do the walls before installing the cabinets, sink and range? I am also planning on using the beadboard sheets.

nwsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #2

beadboard

Yeah, you should go ahead and install the beaded plywood, i'm assuming that's what you're using. That will be a LOT easier than having to cut out around all the cabinets. Just make sure and and mark where the studs are so you can screw your cabinets to the wall.

sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #3

beadboard

Where you're going to have countertop and cabinets I don't see any point in installing it on those walls. It'll just be wasted material you don't see. If you're using it for a backspash area or above the upper cabinets just cut it to fit.

You sure you want it floor to ceiling? That's not a very typical installation of beadboard...
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:45 AM   #4

beadboard

just a little something to keep in mind on your project.Bead board is wood water from the sink and steam from cooking pots will destroy it fairly quickly.I only mention this because you say nothing of any kind of back splash or protection in these areas.Otherwise my vote is with KC ,mark for your cabinets then put in the bead board that stuff is not cheep so why waste it eventhough its alot easier to do the other way
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #5

beadboard

I agree with whatís been mentioned above on all counts
A whole kitchen done in beadboard is not something Iíd do. Just too much of it. Either do just the ceiling, or just the walls. Iíll assume your using the 4X8 sheets. The thin material looks a bit cheap due to the depth of the bead and any nails used to fasten it will show as a large dimple. Not just the nail head but the area around it as well. The thicker material looks better installed but has a rough surface. You will have to sand the surface before and in-between coats of finish to get it to look good. Thatís true with the board available in my area, anyway.

Itís easier to do the whole wall before the cabinets are in but it isnít that much harder to measure and mark where the cabinets will go and then cut to fit after they are installed. In a typical kitchen youíll be hanging and finishing a lot of beadboard that is covered. As for a backsplash, Iíd steer away from it unless you are locked into using it. Iíve done a few bathroom jobs where the customer wanted it around the vanity to match the rest of the room. Water splashing and spots donít wipe clean easily from a beaded board regardless of how smooth the finish is.

I have done a couple ceilings in beadboard. I would not recommend the 4X8 sheets unless the ceiling is 8' or less in width. It looks terrible otherwise.

If your using individual T&G boards that have a bead that's another issue. No problem doing a ceiling but to install behind cabinets is not something I'd spend my money on.

Just my 2Ę
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #6

beadboard

Thanks for the suggestions. We are redoing a kitchen at a shore house rental. Your thoughts on the backsplash are helpful. We were intending to cover the walls because we took down some old paneling that was glued. We really didn't want to redrywall, this seamed like an easy solution. We will have to give it more thought.

Thanks
nwsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

beadboard

People you rent to will not treat it the same as you would, so you need to make it bulletproof. Anything that can easily be water damaged by a lack of care is not really a good idea in a rental.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #8

beadboard

The prefinished "white ice" beadboard in my opinion would be fine for somewhat wet areas. It has what seems to be some kind of finish or coating that would appear that water wouldn't affect it. Hard to explain I guess. I planned on using it around the back of my whirlpool and for the apron of the deck and tile the deck itself. I know it is masonite backed but the front of the stuff i'm talking about has almost a plastic type finish. I handle it alot at work and some of the "B" grade stuff has spots where the finish is blistered and you can see kind of a plastic type coating. Just my 2 pennies!!!

MikeVila is offline   Reply With Quote