Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
wilderstyle

Rewards Points: 75

beadboard

Hi, I am a newbie from California. Just checking if anyone has some tips on installing beadboard? My application will not have room for the base and trim pieces that can be purchased. I am installing it as a backsplash in a kitchen and a bathroom. The countertop is laminate. In the kitchen I was planning on not using the trim and just using caulking at the base where it meets the counter. Any ideas?

wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

beadboard

It depends if its individual boards or sheets. If individual boards you will have issues with finding studs for your nails. You can use construction adhesive or install horizontal blocking. If sheets you will nail into the studs. When using individual boards you nail into the tongue at an angle so the nail head is covered by the next board.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
wilderstyle

beadboard

I hate to admit it, but it is not wood. I am project managing a house makeover for the sale of the house. I needed some cheap backsplash source that would cover the area where I pulled out the tile. It is from the big box store and has the look of beadboard with the tongue and groove pieces. I bought some adhesive tubes for kitchen and bath. Will that be enough to hold it?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

beadboard

i should think so....

DM
Old 10-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

beadboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderstyle View Post
I hate to admit it, but it is not wood. I am project managing a house makeover for the sale of the house. I needed some cheap backsplash source that would cover the area where I pulled out the tile. It is from the big box store and has the look of beadboard with the tongue and groove pieces. I bought some adhesive tubes for kitchen and bath. Will that be enough to hold it?
I could be wrong but it sounds as tho you might of bought caulking not adhesive. the give away I'm thinking is the fact that you say its for kitchen and bath. which I'm thinking of caulking adhesive. not panel adhesive. there is a big difference. use the panel adhesive to install the bead board to the walls and then you can use the caulk to seal the bead board to the counter top. just make sure that if its a wood product that you seal both cut ends. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

beadboard

if it's adhesive caulk, won't it still work ok? i've used it as a 'glue' on occasion and it held ok. more than likely the people who buy the place will rip it out anyway, so a lesser strength might actually be better. just my 2c....

DM
Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

beadboard

My interpretation is that the caulk will adhere to just about anything, there for its called adhesive caulk. if I was looking to fasten planking or paneling to a wall I would be looking for a panel adhesive or some type of construction adhesive. Not caulking!. Al tho adhesive caulk could work, I personally would not trust it. being that I guarantee all my work. If you read the label I doubt its states it could be used for a panel adhesive. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
wilderstyle

beadboard

No worries guys, I am not a dumb redhead, I just left out some details. I bought both products panel adhesive and silicone caulking. I checked my product again after noticing the website guys touting the GE silicone. Yup, that's what I bought. Could be cause my plumber/contractor friend double checked for me. Anyhoo, I am so pleased with the results so far. I am breaking my arm trying to pat myself on the back. Almost had one oops, but caught it. I will show pics later, my camera is having a format issue. I used the panel adhesive after dry setting all my pieces (saw a plumber do that). I used a drill bit to create holes to cut my faucet set pieces. Drilled pilot type holes and used a blade to "connect the dots" for the circle cuts. Started with the most square corner and checked it with a level before setting that piece (forgot my plumb line, used a square and my level). Set the backwall first (most visual wall), did the faucet area next and finished with the other end. This beadboard stuff is reversable with fat and skinny ribs. I cut an L shape piece for around the tub to cover the open wall board edge that was previously pink tile. So on the last section I pressed in my piece and realized my last piece was a tongue and I had the grooves the wrong direction. I pulled them all real fast and flipped them, whew almost blew it on the last leg. So, tomorrow I put the trim on. I plan to practice my mitering corners brain, better start early! Thanks for the info. It is gonna look great. When I get pics you are gonna be impressed!