Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |
Question

bay for kitchen sink and dishwasher

the cabinet for my kitchen sink and dishwasher is 45' wide. i plan to fit it in a bay-like formation (wall on three sides).

should i make the bay EXACTLY 45' or should i leave some slack space on each side (e.g. 0.5-1') to possibly be absorbed by the counter top on the surface and the gap remaining below the surface.

neither cabinet nor the counter top have been delivered - i have to finish framing and drywall before i can take the delivery - space issues. otherwise, it would be easy to fit-measure. i am inclined towards some slack space because i am paranoid of small mistakes on either my or the cabinet maker's side that would be unforgiving in case of no buffer.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #2

I'd leave a little wiggle room. If anything is even 1/8" out of square or plumb you'll have a hard time getting a good fit unless there is some left/right play.
You should find out if there will be any extra wood at each side of the faceframe to allow you to scribe the cabinet faceframe to the walls. The counter shouldn't be ordered until the cabinets are installed, so getting a tight fit there should be no problem.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #3

thanks dude. so you're saying leave like 1/4" wiggle room on each side just to be safe and then make the counter top real snug to reduce the visibility of the lateral gaps from the above, correct ?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #4

Right. You could also leave the rock off of the front of the wall (only rocking the back and sides of the recess), which would allow you to install it tight to the side of the faceframe of the cabinet at the left and right sides. So, even if your wall is 1" or more away from the cabinet, you can bridge that gap with the sheetrock.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
So, even if your wall is 1" or more away from the cabinet, you can bridge that gap with the sheetrock.
do you mean multiple layers of drywall ??
Old 07-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #6

No...

Perhaps I'm picturing something different than you've got. I'm imagining a recessed cabinet surrounded by two sides and a back. Perpindicular to the sides of the cabinet, I'm picturing walls outside the recessed area that will get sheetrock on their face. So, that sheetrock would be parallel to the faceframe of the cabinet. You want some wiggle room, so I'm suggesting leaving that rock outside the recess off until the cabinet is installed, but rocking the recess before installing the cabinet. Then you can hang the rock and butt it tight to the cabinet.

Hope that makes sense.