Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom vanity rough in

Ok, pretty basic question here but apparently I can't figure it out. I am putting a new vanity into a space that measures 30" (for the 30" vanity) althought all vanities that come with a top have a 31" vanity top, how do you fit this is the space (even if it was a 31" opening) and not have a "gap" under the overhang from the vanity top...do I need to cut the extra off so that the whole this is snug into this space with no gaps? Any tips are great!

diyer4162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #2

Bathroom vanity rough in

Usually you have a trim piece on one or both sides of the vanity, so you slide the vanity in, put the top on (which is hopefully snug and square), and then apply trim/filler wood strip to one or both ends of the cabinet, to conceal the gap between the cabinet and the wall.

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Bathroom vanity rough in

As Nate stated, use what is called in the industry: "Filler Strips". Contact the manufacturer of the vanity and see about buying some. Or, make your own, or have a shop fabricate a match for you.

A more affordable option is to go down to your local Home Improvement Store and purchase some nice looking molding/quarter round, chair rail, whatever, and stain/paint it to match the color of the cabinet finish. Install over the edge spaces.

(With custom vanity's, the top is ordered to fit the area with no finished edging on the sides)
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #4

Bathroom vanity rough in

How I read the original post was that there's a 30" opening, which is fine for the cabinet, but the overhang of the counter is wider than 30".

At least that's how I read it.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #5

Bathroom vanity rough in

Yeah, I already have a roughed in opening for a 30" vanity, now what would be the easiest route here...1) move the wall (only like a 3 foot wall, but it's in my basement which means that the bottom plate is adhered to the floor w/ liquid nails) or 2) just find a "custom" vanity top that measures 30" with no finished sides? what would be the most cost/time effective.

My wife orginally wanted a nice custom vanity (so the space wasn't an issue) and of course as the expenses for the whole bathroom/basement remodel expanded she decided to go with a cheaper "all in one" vanity" and now I have this dilema.

I'll just do a little cost analysis here and figure out what makes sense
Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #6

Bathroom vanity rough in

Do you have the countertop already? Is it stone or something like a Corian over particle-board? If it isn't stone, you could always cut it.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #7

Bathroom vanity rough in

You can get a regular 31" countertop and cut it. Even a stone counter can be cut. If you don't have the correct tools, go to a local fabricator and see if he'll cut it for you for a price. Another choice would be to notch the walls and slide it in. This would depend on how it sits in the opening.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #8

Bathroom vanity rough in

No I don't have the top yet, I was waiting to figure out my options before I went and bought it, thanks for all the ideas!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #9

Bathroom vanity rough in

Ron's idea of having a stock vanity top may be the easiest, but I would check to see if you can have this service done. It may be more cost effective to have a custom top made. Another point, have you considered the room entrance door swing?
47_47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #10

Bathroom vanity rough in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Ron's idea of having a stock vanity top may be the easiest, but I would check to see if you can have this service done. It may be more cost effective to have a custom top made. Another point, have you considered the room entrance door swing?

What do you mean by "room entrance door swing"...are you asking if I have the correct clearance for my doorway to open into the bathroom...or are you talking about the vanity door swing, cause if you are talking about the vanity door, then the answer is yes...getting those zero clearnance hinges
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #11

Bathroom vanity rough in

Doorway into the bathroom. The vanity may stick out into the door swing path. It probably is ok, but you should make sure.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #12

Bathroom vanity rough in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Doorway into the bathroom. The vanity may stick out into the door swing path. It probably is ok, but you should make sure.

oh, no I have more than 40 inches of room between the door being opened and the vanity, but thanks....Sounds like a silly question but tackling my first big DIY job and you woudln't believe how many "little" things that get over looked...that's why i have my father in-law (builder) as my 24/7 reference guide (He's out of town, hence my post here)
Old 11-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #13

Bathroom vanity rough in

That's why I mentioned it. I had to move my vanity 1/2" away from the door to clear the top.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #14
timthetoolman

Bathroom vanity rough in

i would cut down any counter top 1/2 inch off each side. And if you're doing it yourself, even if the cuts look poor you can always install side splashes very easily as many in vanities only actually sit on top to the counter top.

timthetoolman is offline   Reply With Quote