Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Bathroom shelves, centered on stud

Hey all, I can't see the forest through the trees on this one, I assume I'm over thinking it.

My wife retrieved 3 solid oak shelves that her grandfather made and wants me to put them up in the the bathroom over the toilet. Each shelf is a full 1"x12" and a fairly heavy. Each shelf has 2 matching brackets similar to the pic below. The brackets have metal hangers embedded in the back that slip over screws in the wall and are completely hidden.

Problem is that the shelves are only 30" long and the lone stud is directly in the middle of the toilet. I really think they're too heavy to put on drywall alone. Thoughts???
Attached Images

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Put in a couple of 2x4 or 2x6 backing pieces to screw into.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Hey all, I can't see the forest through the trees on this one, I assume I'm over thinking it.

My wife retrieved 3 solid oak shelves that her grandfather made and wants me to put them up in the the bathroom over the toilet. Each shelf is a full 1"x12" and a fairly heavy. Each shelf has 2 matching brackets similar to the pic below. The brackets have metal hangers embedded in the back that slip over screws in the wall and are completely hidden.

Problem is that the shelves are only 30" long and the lone stud is directly in the middle of the toilet. I really think they're too heavy to put on drywall alone. Thoughts???
There are lots of anchors that can be used in drywall. I can't think of anything heavy that would be put on this shelf. The weight would be evenly distributed on four screws
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the idea VIPlumber, how are you visioning it? My appreciation for clean carpentry won't be ok with strapping up a big 2x4 board longer than the shelf itself in a small bathroom.

mrgins, it may not be all that much but we have a pedestal sink and no storage in there so her "hair care" products, hair straightener, and blow dryer (at least) will go on there. What anchors do you think would hold the most weight?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Measuring up everything carefully, cutting out drywall over the three studs, inserting the backing, then patching everything back up.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I don't see i reason for blocking, just use E-Z drywall anchors.

Pullout limit for these anchors in a 1/2 rock is 50lbs and a load limit is like 12.5 lbs per anchor ,see the link for performance table.

http://www.itw-redhead.com/ez_selper01.asp#ez_perf
Attached Images

SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #7

Thanks SteelToes, I've used those before, never would have guessed they were rated for so much weight.

Do you think they are better than these toggle bolts? Just dawned on me I have a box or two in the garage and have never used them for hanging something like a shelf.

Edit...... Now that I think about it... I see the forest! What if I use a smaller metal angle bracket to carry the weight and put it on the stud. Then put the matching wood brackets on the ends of the shelf, mainly just to hold it level, not to carry the weight?
Attached Images

Last edited by moneymgmt; 03-08-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Welcome.

The brackets have metal hangers embedded in the back that slip over screws in the wall and are completely hidden.

No its not going to work , you have a slots on those brackets that need to slip over a head of the screw.

And you cant leave toggle bolts to stick out for brackets to grab on it.
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 524

If you're really worried about weight, you can use an ez-anchor toggle lock. Those are rated to 100lbs each.

http://www.easyanchors.com/Products....&info=features

I used several of these to hang some laundry shelves last week - same stud problem you had, with the stud being in the center of where the brackets needed to mount. I am confident that I could jump up and down on the shelves before they would come out of the wall.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Thanks SteelToes, I've used those before, never would have guessed they were rated for so much weight.

Do you think they are better than these toggle bolts? Just dawned on me I have a box or two in the garage and have never used them for hanging something like a shelf.

Edit...... Now that I think about it... I see the forest! What if I use a smaller metal angle bracket to carry the weight and put it on the stud. Then put the matching wood brackets on the ends of the shelf, mainly just to hold it level, not to carry the weight?
Toggle bolts won't work. The kind I like most are the ones that Steel toes reccommends
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
Master of none

Rewards Points: 75

Careful Hyunelan, the anchors may hold your weight, but the sheetroc won't!!! Anyway thanks for the link to the anchor site.

I think that the simpler anchors would be adequate as per the specs. I've used them lots of times and they work great.

Moneymgmt, it's your call.
handy andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #12

Thanks for all your feedback, definitely learned about some products here. I ended up moving the whole set up a few inches to the right and screwing the right sides into the stud, then using the EZ anchors on the left. The off-center drives me nuts but I'm pretty sure nobody but me will EVER notice. I think mrgins was right, can't see that much weight going on there. My wife already managed to scratch one with her hair dryer so needless to say those are no longer allowed to be stored there! Very happy with how they turned out, all screws are hidden.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2011, 03:10 AM   #13
Master of none

Rewards Points: 75

Good work moneymgmt. The results look great. Also nice to know what happened after advice is provided.

I see many threads where we never find out whether the original poster took the advice and how things turned out.

handy andy is offline   Reply With Quote