Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom remodel

I have removed wallpaper-peeled off easy- but remaining glue layer is growing mold-what is the best way ro remove this glue and mold? The exposed wall beneath is partially textured, uneven, a mess- did i see on "Ask..." either Richard or Tom apply a layer of some sort of thinset to the entire wall and allow to dry? Would this be paintable/permanent? The wall is lath and plaster-What sort of prep would be required to apply this properly? Thanks!

bumbledoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

bathroom remodel

You would use compound to even out the walls by skim coating the surface. Thinset is used to adhere tile.
To kill the mold and clean off the paste residue, you could try using TSP and a stiff bristled brush as a first round of cleaning. They do have mold killing solutions, you could use to clean off any mold residue.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #3

bathroom remodel

Ron-Thanks for the reply- when you say compound- is this the stuff you use to fill in gaps in wallboard installation? Any particular type? How thick? Is a skim coat mixed at a different ratio with water? Does it need sanding prior to painting? Why not just lay on plaster instead? Thanks!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

bathroom remodel

Sand the walls with a sanding screen to prepare them for the joint compound. Use premixed lightweight joint compound (not plaster) to skim coat the walls. Do not dilute it. It will probably take at least two coats maybe more to clean up the walls nicely depending on your skill level with regards to finishing technique. Then prime the walls with a good quality primer and paint.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #5

bathroom remodel

Thank you very much for the advice- I will attempt this weekend! Thanks!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

bathroom remodel

Bumble, You need to get ALL the glue off First.

Ten years ago my painter did a three room painting job for me that required wallpaper removal, prime then paint. I told him that after removing the wallpaper to remove the glue with DIF then prime. I didn't see the job until the final paint was dried. When I saw that the DIF was hardly used and questioned him about it, he said using DIF was too much trouble and there wasn't that much glue on the walls and he used KILZ primer so no problemo.

Two years later the paint started to peel in the customers house. It cost me $2000 to settle.

Use DIF, TSP & hot water to remove the glue with a car wash brush (not a hard scrub brush) to get in the the uneven areas.

DIF
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=18

Car Wash Brush, many styles, commonly available e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/HomeRight-C800...3897859&sr=1-1

Last edited by PaliBob; 09-25-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: sp
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #7

bathroom remodel

Bob- Thanks for the warning- I have used DIF on the ceiling, and tried to scrape with a putty knife and it did a spotty job perhaps due to the uneven surface- scrubbing with a soft car wash brush would seem like it would emulsify the glue and Dif together but then how to remove the resulting glop? And spraying the DIF on the ceiling resulted in uneven application and lots of waste/overspray- can you suggest a better way to apply-YES they put wallpaper on the ceiling! Thanks, Greg
Old 09-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

bathroom remodel

".... but then how to remove the resulting glop?" that's where the TSP in hot water comes in. Wear gloves and Eye protection especially on the ceiling.

it's too bad there isn't a standard way to tell whether or not the surface is clean enough. In my aerospace days we used UV lights to detect contaminants on or in transducers that would come in contact with liquid oxygen (LOX).

The procedure would be to fill the pressure transducer with
Trichloroethylene, shake it up, then shake the fluid onto a filter paper and look at it under a UV light. Any containment would immediately show up as fluorescent bright green. I'm. not suggesting that solvent but it would be interesting to see if you could borrow a UV light to try to detect the glue residue. Has anyone used a UV light to detect glue?

Sorry no suggestions on an easier application method.

Last edited by PaliBob; 09-26-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added question
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #9

bathroom remodel

Thanks, Bob! I found a citrus based product for the glue removal-we'll see if it works-one more Q-will the compound skim coat withstand the humidity in the bathroom once painted? thanks, Greg