Bathroom Osb Question - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom osb question

I am currently remodelling my bathroom. I live in a four level split house. When I installed my house my tub was about 5/8" smaller than the distance between the walls. To compensate for this I put up a layer of 5/8" OSB and was going to put bathroom rated drywall on top of the osb. The back of the osb is sitting against essentially three zones. Attic which has a vapour barrier, outside wall which has a vapour barrier and inside wall. If I seal everything good do you think I will have any problems with the osb.

Thanks Wes

Advertisement

wes_h_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

bathroom osb question

I would have just added plywood to the studs as I'm not a fan of OSB.
You do not use drywall in the tub area. Use cement board.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #3

bathroom osb question

hope I can help, Ive remodeled hundreds of bathrooms and very rarely does the tub fit right in. my favorite solution is to fur out the studs with PT or KD whatever you got lying around just for a little extra protection I prime the studs to about a foot above the tub, while this is not necessary its just a little added security. remember the only thing keeping water from seeping behind there is caulking. I would use cement board regardless of what finish your wall is going to have. if using tiles never keep them tight to the tub or use grout to seal the seam between the first row and the lip of the tub otherwise when the tub shifts it can pop out tiles and cause cracking. now the reason for all the water proofing that I do is because caulking starts to break down and let water seep long before you will notice it so I recommend my customers to clean out the old caulking annually and replace. this is my first post sorry its so long hope I helped.
airborne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Rehabber

Rewards Points: 75

bathroom osb question

Exterior OSB has the same structural characteristics as plywood. However, you have to keep water away from either material. I install CBU in the shower stall and seal the seams with mesh tape and thinset. Then I coat the surface with Laticrete Watertight before setting tile.
The previous post mentioned putting grout between the first row of tile and tub. This usually isn't a good idea as the tub will flex with the weight of water and bather, cracking the grout. A flexible sealant, like silicone caulk will last longer. It is not permanent as the previous poster mentioned, but it will require less maintenance in the long run.
CMHbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #5

bathroom osb question

my bad for that confusing run on sentence, i'm not an English major. what I was trying to say is never use grout on that seam because the tub will move in most cases causing cracks in the tile.
airborne82 is offline   Reply With Quote