DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

bathroom floor

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
My name is Delvia and Im kinda new to remodeling. Right now Im doing a bathroom in a older house that has that 4" concrete slab floor.At first I was just going to remove the tile and use some self leveling cement, but Im have troube removing the tile. Meaning everytime I try the concrete cracks with the tile. I was wondering how hard is it to just pull up all the concrete and just redo the whole floor? Please let me know if you have advice that will help me.

#13 ·
I see old floor joists----right?

Is this a 1900--1930s vintage house? If I am seeing this right--you have a real recessed mud set---

framed floors---wood ledgers nailed about five inches below the top of the joists--then wood 'sub floor' then 4 inches of deck mud packed between the floor joists?

Let us know----if I am wrong and you have a slab on grade---(soil/gravel/with concrete on top) the repair will be different.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Post some pictures if you can-----are you sure that the concrete is cracking?
Could it be a coating of self leveling compound on top of the concrete floor?

Breaking up a floor is possible----but so seldom needed that I think we should see what is going on before you rent a jack hammer----

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.