Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Counter Heights

I just moved into a new build home. The builder neglected to inform me that the standard master bathroom counter height is 36 inches tall. I'm only 5 foot tall, so the counter is very uncomfortable to use.

The project manager is telling me that he cannot lower the cabinet without "completely remodeling the bathroom." There is a huge 4 inch base at the bottom of the cabinet. I'm curious if it can be cut down.

I'm also wondering what issues it might cause with plumbing? I assume I'll have to have larger holes at the back since the plumbing will fall at a different height.

Is this a difficult project? I am a pretty handy gal, but haven't ever had to tackle anything like this.

Or would it be better to just rip out the counter and replace it with a lower height?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how difficult of a project this is and whether in the future I might try to tackle it myself? And I'd really like to know if the project manager is jerking me around by insisting its difficult when it really isn't.

My dad could easily tell me, but if he knew then he'd also be really angry and upset (even though I'm a grown woman).

dolphin041599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #2

Bathroom Counter Heights

Get us a picture of the vanity, inside and out and well see what you've got to work with

ryan50hrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #3

Bathroom Counter Heights

without seeing i cant say for sure but standard height for a vanity is 30" but they seem to be making more at 36" the same height as kitchen counters. its probably possible to cut it down but it might include plumbing, and no paint behind where the counter was. it might be easier to build a little stool to stand on or a couple phone books haha!!
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Bathroom Counter Heights

Yeah, build yourself a small stepstool to put in front.

If the drain inlet is too high for a 30", it shouldn't be too big of a deal to lower it, because the wall will be covered up by the cabinet anyway. Same with the supply lines.

You'll have 6" more of wall showing when you install the lower cabinet, and hopefully it was all textured and painted before the cabinet was installed. If not, you'll have to deal with that. If it is a tiled wall, you'll have to bring the tile down to the 30" if the entire wall isn't tiled.

I tile my walls, then install the cabinets.

Good luck, shorty.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #5

Bathroom Counter Heights

as ryan said, a few photos would go a long way in getting a proper answer

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Retired Cabinetmaker

Bathroom Counter Heights

Industry standards
Commercial vanity height is 32" OA
Residential vanity height 33 1/2" OA

Kids vanity height 30"
Adult vanity height 36"

If this was a spec home you would have been asked what height you wanted.
In a tract home they put in whatever they assume everybody wants.
It is more common these days to use a 36" vanity.

The cheapest way is to cut down the toe kick to say 2" high. This will give a counter height of 34". The plumbing will need altering slightly inside the cabinet which is only going to cost a few bucks. If there is a back in the cabinet, the holes can be covered with two pieces of plastic laminate cut around the pipe. Most cabinet shops will have this in their dumpsters.

If you want it lower than 34" you will need a new vanity cabinet

Mike