Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom and beadboard

remodeling small bathroom. i have taken the wall tiles off and want to put up beadboard . of 5 contractors/handmen 3 said yes-but, 2 said no. yes-but want to put in individual stiles (for more control). small room - only 5x6 - i want to do myself and planned on using wood beadboard from home depot. cut, prime and glue/screw on. any problems with this idea? how best to cut.

tanksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
carpenter

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom and beadboard

I am a pro builder. I see no problem running 4' sheets of pre primed bead board if properly installed. For diy cut with a circular saw if you are comfortable. A special panel adhesive is available that works very well. But it is very important that there is no directt water contact to the bead board. And in a bath that size it is imperative that the board(s) are sufficiently caulked so that steam that gathers on walls will not leak behind the bead board. Post again with any questions.

nailbanger138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

bathroom and beadboard

I guess this topic is a little older but just incase your still looking:

I just finished putting beadboard up in my bathroom. I used the seperate pieces as opposed to the sheets. I thought the sheets looked cheap, but after painting the probably would be O.K. The pieces I bought were 8' long and about 3-4 inces wide, I cut them to 32" lengths to cover only the bottom portion of the wall. I cut them to length with a miter saw. Of course there were some pieces that had to trimmed on the width, the best way to do that is with a table saw, but I did not have that, so I carefully cut them with a jig saw, not perfect bot it was in the corners and any imperfections were covered by the piece on the joining wall.

I used consruction adhesive and a nail gun to put them up, I cannot imagine how long it would have taken if I tried to nail or screw them up without the nail gun.
I primed and put one coat of paint on before putting them up, then caulked and put the last coat of paint on after.
ERIK2173 is offline   Reply With Quote