Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Basswood vs Pine Paneling

Hello. I am planning to insulate and finish off the interior of my garage located in northern Minnesota. I have access to some local lumber mills where tongue and groove paneling is milled on site and air dried. My question has to do with the choice of 1" x 6" tongue and groove paneling. The basswood paneling is almost 1/2 the price per board foot as the #2 grade pine paneling. Does anybody have experience in using basswood? If so, does it take a stain as readily as pine? Are there any reasons that I would not want to use basswood? I like the rustic look of pine, but am tempted by the inexpensive price of the basswood.
Thanks

duck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
General Contractor

Unless you are planning on conditioning the garage to I wouldn't use wood to finish off the walls. On the wall adjacent to the house you are required to have 5/8" fire rated drywall. The same is true of the ceiling. I would install densarmour drywall in the garage and finish it to level 5 finish.

Basswood is considerably lighter (lower specific gravity) than pine. It also has a much lower deflection value. I couldn't give you the specifics on that without looking them up. It tends to blotch when stained sometimes even when conditioned. I think pine, depending on species, is more tolerant of moisture than basswood but I'm not 100% sure on that. Pine takes stain o.k when conditioned but I have seen it blotch on occasion (depending on species).

ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #3

ARI001, Thanks for the reply to my post about wood paneling. Can you tell me what you meant by "conditioning" the garage?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck2 View Post
ARI001, Thanks for the reply to my post about wood paneling. Can you tell me what you meant by "conditioning" the garage?
HVAC. Heating and cooling the garage to avoid extreme temperature fluctuations.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI001 View Post
Basswood is considerably lighter (lower specific gravity) than pine. It also has a much lower deflection value. I couldn't give you the specifics on that without looking them up. It tends to blotch when stained sometimes even when conditioned. I think pine, depending on species, is more tolerant of moisture than basswood but I'm not 100% sure on that. Pine takes stain o.k when conditioned but I have seen it blotch on occasion (depending on species).
You are partly right... Basswood (2.7 lbs./bf) is lighter than SYP (4.2 lbs./ bf.), but heavier than Eastern White Pine and Ponderosa Pine (2.2 lbs./bf).

Basswood is quite soft, and I agree that it can stain badly. It is best left natural or it paints very nicely. Another choice is to seal in with a clear coat and then use a PolyShade stain and finish to add color over the top.

Basswood is exceptionally stable with changes in moisture.

Pine won't dent or scratch quite as easily.
basswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #6

A little late to the party here, but I have installed both products in 2 seperate garages in Northern MN. I have had good luck with both, but basswood was far easier to work with, didn't bind on the saw blade when ripping it and was very stable on the wall. It also has a lot of character with the coloring (which I like) Pine is more readily available and is available in clear and #2. As for finishing, pine yellows as it ages which I don't like. Basswood got slightly darker, but not very much. I didn't put a finish on either one of them so I just had to watch out for staining.

Overall I liked the workability of basswood much better. I am currently insulating my 3rd garage and am thinking about birch as a possibility if the price is good vs basswood, but my dad put birch in his garage and 10 years later it has a very deep caramel color which is nice, but makes the garage fee smaller than it is.

Hope it all went well with your garage!
MNGophers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #7

Thumbs up

MNGopher,
I wound up using a pre-finished tongue and groove 6" paneling product that I found at a lumber yard in Blackduck. it is a really nice looking product and I don't have to have a messy, odorous follow on project to stain anything. It turned out great. If I knew how to post a picture, I would include it in my reply. If I ever do my other garage, I may go with the basswood paneling. It sounds like a good solution if a high grade interior finish is not needed.
Thanks for your reply.