Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #1

Share |

basic carpentry - frame

Hi - am trying to help out a friend in a poor situation make a rabbit 'play pen'. Have the timber and mesh etc. but a bit unsure how to secure corners to make the whole thing stable enough to tolerate movement from position to positon.
The cage is of pine frame (to be wire mesh enclosed), using 42X35mm batons, 1.5m long, 1m wide and 500 high. I intend to have a double hinged lid on top, made of the same stuff,( could probably do with some advice as to how to do this a as well!!!) with supports in between (originally was going to have 2 on the 1.5m length but figure 1 is enough?) but my immediate problem is how to strengthen the corners/stability! Will a small square of timber in each corner be OK or should I buy those little steel corner bend things, or, as the entire cage will be getting moved about regularly, should I have some sort of stronger frame support for it all? Seriously need help here quickly.........PLEASE??!!!!!

crabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
the Musigician

basic carpentry - frame

need a bit more input. is this for outdoors? indoors? both?
the wife built a large outdoor rabbit pen you can have if you want it.....
it's just a nailed frame with mesh stapled to the outside.
measurements in inches is a bit better here too, some of us were lousy in metric conversions.

DM

Old 11-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #3

basic carpentry - frame

Hi

Yeah, I am better off with feet and inches as well! But trying to convert through necessity - the 'cage' to be ...is roughly 4 1/2' by 3' and around 2' high. It will be mostly for out-door use - the mum is trying to save money by letting the kids critters graze on the lawn. I only bought cheap pine, and am very conscious about their pets maybe chewing on the timber, but ........if I can help I will....... just unsure about how to best strengthen the lot!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
the Musigician

basic carpentry - frame

our rabbit never seemed to chew the wood. the wife used large-holed chicken wire to cover the frame and the rabbit ate whatever was on the ground as she moved it around. ours was 8' x 3'ish and 2' tall too. stapling the wire to the frame adds a LOT of strength.

DM
Old 11-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #5

basic carpentry - frame

PS.... thankyou - but I see your state is Michigan US? I and my buddy/kids in strife are in North Queensland, Australia. Might cost a bit too much to take you up on your offer! But thankyou for the offer!

Last edited by crabz; 11-26-2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: different animal - actually guinea pigs
Old 11-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #6

basic carpentry - frame

Hi again..and thanks

I was looking at this....whatever.... page/screen/etc. I noticed you are in the USA! Well G'day! I'm in North Queensland, Australia! Nice to meet you!
I cconfessed just before I got your last 'post' - am actually trying to make a guinea pig (you may call them hamsters???) play pen for a friend in dire straights. Somewhere they can be outside on a good lush lawn and EAT it - but still in a cage that is not easily knocked over and that has a cover - and easily moved without falling apart!. I think I have most of it worked out - but got a bit concerned when putting the main frame together (before screwing the uprights in) - they obviously need some sort of frame straightener/strengthener, but not sure if a cube of timber/metal 'corner support' will do the job or if I should cut some longer bits of timber and make a large 'angle' support for the larger part of the framework?
Old 11-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #7

basic carpentry - frame

Built up corners of 1x2 or 1x3 screwed together lengthwise (looks like an L when viewed from the top) would be stronger and easier to attach perimeter boards at top and bottom as well. Some diagonal supports on each side alternating in direction will greatly strength the whole mess, though they might not be needed after the chicken wire is added. The diagonals don't need to run the length of the sides to be effective but keep the angle near 45 degrees to keep the panel rigid. Use drywall screws to assemble frame and a staple gun to attach the hardware cloth.

Kurt
kgincolumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #8

basic carpentry - frame

Hi...Thankyou for your assistance! Can I just use small angle iron instead? And would it be suffiient if I just use same on the base or should I use them on all corners? Was planning on using upright supports, but it is the corners and the 'off-square' angles that has me conerned. Thankyou.

Last edited by crabz; 11-26-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: more questions..
Old 11-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #9

basic carpentry - frame

Well angle iron would get heavy pretty quickly. How are you planning to attach the wire mesh?
Old 11-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #10

basic carpentry - frame

And is there any way I can avoid extra timber/whatever on the bottom as that is where I wanted only to put chicken type wire so the little critters had maximum grazing space. I also wated to attach a couple of wheels to the sides of one end, so the kids could move the whole thing around from place to place without much effort. Sorry... voluteered to do something to help someone without knowing really what am doing myself!!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #11

basic carpentry - frame

Hi.... only small angle iron... hardware shop has pieces that are as small as around 1" x 1/2". Going to use chicken wire on base (for more grazing area) and snake/rodent mesh (1/2" approx) on the rest. Attaching by staple gun.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #12

basic carpentry - frame

I guess you lost me. How are you going to staple chicken wire, or rodent mesh to metal angles?
Old 11-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #13

basic carpentry - frame

Pine timber frame with small steel angle supports on the insides of the timber frame. Mesh stapled to the outside of the timber frame. Sorry, way after midnight my time and very tired so probably/obviously not explaining/describing what I was considering (not knowing what am doing) properly!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #14

basic carpentry - frame

I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the angles and they should work ok -- maybe you can even find ones that are shaped so you can get all 3 wood pieces at one time that come together in each corner (but probably not). This will not look as fancy using the metal corner bracing but for what it is being used for it may make the task simpler now that you volunteered

My biggest concern on the whole project would be that they might escape out or under the bottom while grazing or moving the portable grazing device and that will be cause for alarm for the children I imagine

Good luck -- it is nice to help others that need it -- but as they say around here though many times just in joking "no good deed goes unpunished"

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic cage frame, carpentry