Basement Windows - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Windows

We need to replace our basement windows. They are wood. How do we get the correct dimensions of them?

Advertisement

maryr006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Basement Windows

You need to take dimensions of the rough opening that the windows themselves go into. That might be a framed opening or a concrete opening, depending on the type of window and where they're situated.

If there is casing on the windows you'll need to remove it in order to measure the rough opening dimensions.

Take that info to your supplier or go online to the window manufacturer you're going to use. They'll have charts for their full product line. See what will fit in your rough openings. Sometimes it is necessary to go custom, but usually not.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Renovation Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Basement Windows

Maryr,

Excellent advice and right on the money!

I also wanted to mention that even though it shouldn't really be an issue but just to be on the safe side whenever I measure an R.O. or a rough opening I always take 3 measurements the top the middle and the bottom. I will come down 6" and write down my width measurement at that point then I come down to about the middle point of the opening and take a measurement and then go down to about 6" up from the bottom or so and take a measurement and I always use the narrowest measurement for my RO when giving measurements to the supplier. Then I do this for my height as well. This way if there are some sever discrepancies in the RO you make sure that the window isn't going to be too wide or high for the opening.

Also if you are going to be replacing a lot of or even just a few windows and are going to be ordering them from someone they some times come out and measure them for free, if you are purchasing the windows from them. This is more so the case for window suppliers and not the big box stores. The big box stores will come out and measure them but will charge you unless you are going to have THEM install the windows and is sometimes the case with suppliers as well. They usually require you to pay a fee to measure the windows like $50 - $100 and then will refund that if you hire their installers where as the suppliers just charge this and refund it off the purchase price, but you can install those yourself saving you a little money there.

At best if you are going to be replacing and installing the windows yourself you can stop in to your local big box store such as Home Depot and go into their building supply department and they will have measuring "how to" guides right there for you to use. This will give you instructions for measuring for replacement windows however this method will leave you responsible for any errors in measuring so it is up to you whether or not you want to take the responsibility when ordering windows.

Just some food for thought and what I would do is talk to a couple window manufacturers and suppliers in your area and see what works best for you.

Good luck and be safe.
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote