Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #1

Share |

Basement walls and insulation

I am finishimg my basement and have the white insulating blanket on the top half of my walls to the frost line. Do i need to take that off, add the vapor barrier foam only dto the bottom half or don;t add anything and frame over the balanket. If I don't use any additional insulation, do I need a vapor barrier over the studs since I have the white insulating blanket?

Thanks for any input

hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

please do a search for info on basement finishing. All the info you need has been answered over and over again. If you finish a basement it must be insulated by code. Unless you are in Canada you should not be using a vapor barrier anywhere. The area above ground is treated differently then below grade levels. Read and learn then ask more specific questions. Unless you do this right you will be doing again next year.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum! As Bob said, do a search. I have used this article 4 or 5 times, and haven't been here nearly as long as Bob has: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ts?full_view=1 This is just the tip of the iceberg!

Be safe, Gary
Old 11-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #4

Real good stuff. Good resource

thanks
hodak is offline   Reply With Quote