Basement Repair - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

basement repair

looking at purchasing a house that had 8 inches of water..long enough for white mold to appear...they vacuumed the water out, fixed the sump pump, pulled out the flooring and ran a new dehumidifier but did nothing for the molded drywalls...question: there are several rooms of walls..is there any way of salvaging the drywall/paneling? If I need to remove, can I leave the framing? Any comments would be appreciated. thanx in advance. julie

Advertisement

jshotwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

basement repair

Get a SawsAll---snap a chalk line 4 foot off the floor and remove the bottom section of drywall--

If they left the walls wet (and it sounds like they did) you will want to clean out the bottom--inspect the framing and clean with bleach---replace any insulation--and then replace the drywall and trims.

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,052

basement repair

Good advice from Mike, if I might add….

Take safety precautions for your health; http://www.toxic-black-mold-info.com/moldclean.htm

Wood is organic and neutralizes common household bleach; try a product specifically for wood; http://www.toxic-black-mold-info.com/disinfectant.htm

Bleach on hard surfaces only, not wood grain; http://www.spore-tech.com/viewCatego...?idCategory=78

Replace the insulation: http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhou...rglassMold.htm

Gary
oh'mike (09-06-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

basement repair

If you need some more info pm me,
while some info on here is good, some other info is bad. I work in the insurance industry and we perform some mold cleanups on daily basis. If you don't take the right precautions, mold and other problems will be back within few month.
laflsyl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,052

basement repair

The whole idea of a forum is to get different opinions on solutions. Without explaining why some or which are good or bad is interesting, to say the least. Please explain as a PM is just that, others will not benefit. We won't bite your head off..... lol.

Gary