DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

basement leaking

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Knucklez 
#1 ·
hello all
I am writing for a friend who lives in CT. they have a house with a basement. there is a small crack in the concrete wall from a basement window to the ground that is now leaking enought to get basement floor soaked. there is no access to the outside of the wall due to all being covered by dirt. they have tried cauling crack from top to bottom on the inside wall of basement but still leaks. can you seal a crack from the "inside" sucessfully?? I know they make "paint on" type sealers like Dry Loc and similar but will that help or do you have to excavate the outside and fix from outside? thanks in advance. I live in Ca, so not too many basement issues out here!
Pete

#3 ·
This is a typical settling crack. As 1910 said, the first thing to address is the grading and leader extensions outside.
The outside solution is the most effective. You just need to move the dirt to get to the wall. The access is there, it just takes effort.
A shorter term fix on the interior would be to use hydraulic cement. You would drill out the crack, from floor to window with a 3/4" masonry bit about an inch or so deep. Clean out the crack and pack it with the hydraulic cement.
If done correctly, with minimum exterior water pressure, you should get 6-8 years of leak free time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.