Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

basement half wall with window

I want to streamline my framing so I don't have a 8 to 10 inch ledge in my basement. It is only a 15' wall that has this ledge. I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I deal with the gap between the existing framing that will be created when I frame a new 2x4 wall? do I add blocking to the existing studs to get it to the same level as my new wall?

2. When framing around the window, do I frame right up to the vinyl window frame?

Please look at the image I drew, it shows what I'm dealing with. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (99.1 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by griffinst; 03-09-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: more info
griffinst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #2

When you frame the new wall, frame an opening for the window that is the same size that you want your finished window opening to be plus 2 times the thickness of whatever you plan on finishing the opening with. For example, if you want a finished opening that is 14" x 38" and you plan on using 1/2" drywall for your window box, frame the opening 15" x39". You will need blocking around the window to match the opening in the new wall. Use 2x material attached to the existing wall parallel to the opening in the new wall. Drywall or plywood will easily span the 8-10". If you use drywall, I'd look at mold-resistant for around the window.

Are you going to be installing casing around the opening in the new wall? If so, then using plywood for your window box is probably a better choice than the drywall.

Last edited by Eskilover; 03-09-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Eskilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

Yes, after some research I see most people use a nice plywood to create the box frame like birch plywood. Then they just slide it in, shim it and nail it in. I like the look of the wood box frame.
griffinst is offline   Reply With Quote