Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #1

Share |

Basement beam support question

Someone I know is haveing some work done in their house and I just have a concern as to if this is being delt with correctly. What my picture here is, is if you were looking up from the basement directly under the bathroom. You see the beams running across and one of them has been cut out as you can see to make room for plumbing which no longer exists.

Now the black colored beam (or whatever you would call it) at some point was cut into to make way for a drain pipe effectivly turning part of the 2X12 into a 2X3. The contractor doing the bathroom says this needs to be adressed.
What I would do in this situation is drop the drain pipes down below the beams since the basement isn't finished and has a high ceiling. Then the black piece which has been cut could be replaced or better yet a new beam could be sistered to the cut one returning it to its original state.
What he did was screw 2 2x4s together and beat them into place under the middle of that black beam.

2 questions.
1. Is this acceptable?
2. If it is shouldn't he atleast be using treated wood as these are sitting directly on the cement floor and the basement has a history of flooding?

Last edited by Tmb9862; 01-24-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Tmb9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

So, he made a post. No, I wouldn't think this would be ideal. There is no telling how thick the concrete floor is under the post. There is certainly no footer.

Dropping the plumbing under the beam may not work due to slope considerations.

My question has to do with why were the floor joists (not beams). Built like they were? On other words, why was that one long joist made into two shorter ones, and connected to the adjacent joists? (That connection is with your cot joist and one opposite.

Let me speculate. That was originally done to accommodate the bathroom plumbing above. The bathroom is now being remodeled and the fixtures are not in exactly the same place. hence the original framing does not work out.

Could you move that joist. The one in black, a little to the right and not have to cut it? How about a little to the left? Or, can you remove it and the one opposite, and sister a new joist the entire length, left to right.

Just some thoughts. Obviously I cant see from here so my advice is just to ponder. I would contact a qualified tradesman to give you an on-sight inspection and advice.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
Let me speculate. That was originally done to accommodate the bathroom plumbing above. The bathroom is now being remodeled and the fixtures are not in exactly the same place. hence the original framing does not work out.

Could you move that joist. The one in black, a little to the right and not have to cut it? How about a little to the left? Or, can you remove it and the one opposite, and sister a new joist the entire length, left to right.

Just some thoughts. Obviously I cant see from here so my advice is just to ponder. I would contact a qualified tradesman to give you an on-sight inspection and advice.
Sorry for not being clear before. The existing plumbing (original to the house) is in the way of having that joist run all the way across. A previous re-model moving the sink drain is why that black beam was cut (it was done about 20 years ago). The plumbing runs between the joists so moving the black beam wouldn't accomplish anything unfortunatly.

My belief is that the best course is what you said, sister a new joist all the way across. Failing that the best course would be to replace the black joist with an uncut one. Either of these however would involve dropiing the plumbing below the joists. I don't believe this would be any problem dropping the plumbing (in fact he dropped one of the drain pipes down below the plumbing). It is still high above the main drain. It would run about 6ft to the nearest wall where the stack happens to be located then attached to a capped off drain line for an old kitchen in the stack.

As far as a qualified tradesman this person supposedly is. He is a licensed contractor working as a sub for the company doing the job. He has however issued himself a plumbers and electritions license because he is doing the wireing and making a poor job of changeing some plumbing.

Last edited by Tmb9862; 01-25-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #4

So they spoke to the guy and he "fixed it". He put the same post back, only he nailed a metal bracket to the floor and between the beam and the post. I think that's as good as this guy is going to get it unfortunatly. He either doesn't know how to do it right or he doesn't care.
I also found out his plumbing job doesn't live up to code. And when I saw it their are a few cosmetic things which need to be adressed.