Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Baseboard moulding

Hi all,
I'm redoing my powder room bath and want to put in new baseboard moulding and 1/4 round. I'm looking into using MDF instead of wood. Is this a good product to work with? Does it cut just like wood? I think it usually comes primed, so I'd still have to paint it white right? Any pointers? Should I use real wood instead? Thanks!

gtothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Baseboard moulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtothek View Post
Hi all,
I'm redoing my powder room bath and want to put in new baseboard moulding and 1/4 round. I'm looking into using MDF instead of wood. Is this a good product to work with? Does it cut just like wood? I think it usually comes primed, so I'd still have to paint it white right? Any pointers? Should I use real wood instead? Thanks!
MDF cuts just like real wood. You can paint it any color you would like, if it's not primed you'll have to do that first.

The only drawback to using MDF that I have experienced is, once water hits it, it pretty much falls apart. If you have a good lumber supply store in your area (not big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot) you may be able to find something that will work much better and be close to the same price as MDF. If you're painting it, look for something in Pine. It is much softer than Oak and does not have as nice of a grain pattern, but painted they look identical. And pine is much cheaper.

yeag6154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #3

Baseboard moulding

I would definitely stay away from MDF in a bathroom. I learned my lesson the hard way. In the end, I ripped out all the molding in my power room and went with solid wood on top and vinyl on the baseboard.

I think vinyl on baseboard in the bathroom makes a lot more sense. Remember, bathrooms get mopped often. After you install the vinyl baseboard, run a small bead of silicone where the baseboard meets the floor. You will never have any issues.

Trust me...these little details matter a great deal. Best of all...it doesn't cost much.

Good luck.
novanoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to novanoel For This Useful Post:
Willie T (10-15-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #4

Baseboard moulding

Can I use just nails (no glue) to attach it to the wall? What kind/size nails should I use?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #5

Baseboard moulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanoel View Post
I would definitely stay away from MDF in a bathroom. I learned my lesson the hard way. In the end, I ripped out all the molding in my power room and went with solid wood on top and vinyl on the baseboard.

I think vinyl on baseboard in the bathroom makes a lot more sense. Remember, bathrooms get mopped often. After you install the vinyl baseboard, run a small bead of silicone where the baseboard meets the floor. You will never have any issues.

Trust me...these little details matter a great deal. Best of all...it doesn't cost much.

Good luck.
What do you mean by solid wood on top and vinyl on baseboard? On top of what? The shoe moulding is vinyl?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Baseboard moulding

They make vinyl molding which is good to use in a wet /damp location. I've seen 3 1/2" sizes as well as the 1/4 round.
MDF
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #7

Baseboard moulding

1. Top means the crown trim and door trim

2. Definitely use vinyl for the base molding and shoe molding. Actually, you could probably find some basemolding that has a nice shoe profile.

3. Go out and purchase a nice finish nail gun. You will be glad you did. It is a great investment.

4. Get a stud finder and place a light pencil mark on all the studs. All your naiils should be on the studs.

5. How long should you nails be? Think about it...sheetrock is .5 inch, trim .5 in, etc. So, I would go with 1.5 inch finish nails. You want to make sure the nails grab the studs.

Good luck.
novanoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
Is this wire Hot?

Rewards Points: 150

Baseboard moulding

Ditto, No MDF in bathroom. If it gets wet it swells up like a sponge and is never normal again (trust me).
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #9

Baseboard moulding

Do they sell vinyl moulding at Lowe's or HD?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,066

Baseboard moulding

most big box stores now sell vinyl trim, however it looks terrible indoors, i save composites for exterior. if i do absolutely have to use it its for odd locations which are extremely close to a water source such as a shower which are hard to trim and keep water tight such as windows inside a shower.

just nailing it is fine as long as you hit studs or use a nail gun and "stitch nail"

i just use pine in bathrooms but make sure i always seal it with exterior grade primer on all edges and ends even going as far as resealing all cut ends just before installing
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
1910NE (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Baseboard moulding

I would avoid mdf in a potential wet area. Unless you have a HUGE powder room the difference for the cost of wood will be not much. You can buy primed wood also. I don't like mdf on any hard surface (like tile), that may be subject to wet mopping.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Baseboard moulding

I would use a waterproof adhesive and not nails with vinyl trim in a bath area. A finish nail gun may pop nails right through it. Silicone is a sealant and using it as a caulk is an idea direct from the devil. A quality caulk with some percentage of silicone is alright.

I never trust pre-primed products and always prime them again. I agree with all suggesting MDF a bad idea in a wet area. I personally would go with wood trim but vinyl will work.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #13

Baseboard moulding

Thanks for the advice all. I ended up getting 5 1/4 pine trim and shoe moulding.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,066

Baseboard moulding

dont believe the hype. baseboard trim has to be nailed, the two main reasons for baseboard molding is to a) hide the gap between the finish floor and the wall and b) protect the base of the wall from abuse, vacuums and all sorts of things bang into this part of the wall

simply gluing the baseboard will not hold, eventually it will fall off i can almost guarentee. ive worked for companys which specialize in maintenance work. the 3 main types of repairs would be 1) drywall repair, 2) doors and door hardware 3) trim falling off.. mainly trim that was only glued
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #15

Baseboard moulding

Should I use 1 1/2 inch finish nails? And what kind of filler should I use to cover nail holes? I'm painting them white. Also what kind of caulk?