Baseboard On Hardwood Floor - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

baseboard on hardwood floor

I just had new baseboard installed over my hardwood floor. the house is 15 yrs old, some of the hardwood was new, some original. There are some gaps at the bottom, up to about 3/16 worst case. Is this typical? I thought he could push the MDF baseboard down a little better to close the gap but he said that wouldn't work. He said that people usually put quarter round on to cover that gap. He also used caulk instead of wood filler over the nail holes.
Does this sound like a good installation (should I use him again for another job)?
Should I put quarter round on or will no one notice the gap (I notice it now, but maybe I'll get used to it)? It will have to be 3/8 or less high because the baseboard pattern we chose has a curve just above 3/8.

Advertisement

brado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I'm sure he did a good enough job, and sometimes you can't make the base hit the floor, the stuff just doesn't bend that way. And usually if there are gaps you have to use some kind of trim to cover it up. Normally a base shoe, or quarter round. Since the profile of base you have doesn't seem like it will work with normal shoe or round, you might have to have the guy make something. He'll have to rip down some stock of whatever the base is made out of that will fit, and route or sand the hard edge down so it's not sharp. He should have offered that at least. It's not hard to to and shouldn't be too expensive.

Advertisement

sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Shoe mold (or quarter round) is much more flexible than baseboard. It can be pushed down to cover the gaps. It's the typical solution to gaps at the base on hard surface flooring.....
Old 11-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Agreed, base shoe is the way to go. Quarter round looks amateurish, so be sure to get base shoe. Any good base installation over hardwood will have base shoe...It would look odd without it.

Pushing the base down to match the contour of the floor would look awful. The only way that he could possibly make the gap perfect would be to scribe the base to the floor, but that presents major challenges when trying to get corners to match up height-wise.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

He also used caulk instead of wood filler over the nail holes.

This part is no good,chalk is no good for nail holes.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

I would only use 1/4 round or the larger 3/4 round if it was necessary to cover a large gap where the flooring wasn't run close enough to the wall for base shoe to be used. Hopefully your guy didn't leave you in that situation.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

From your description, I'd say your contractor done a professional job. But, I was under the impression this was a DIY site, not a consulting site to check on professionals. My understanding of DIY is, you yourself doing the work.

Advertisement

pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote