Baseboard Cover Reflective Material - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 794

Baseboard Cover Reflective Material

I just made some wood baseboard covers and want to put a reflective material on the underside to deflect the heat and not have the wood absorb it. I put flashing type metal behind the actual baseboard against the drywall but it was a bit tough to work with. Can I use tinfoil or something similiar on the underside of the baseboard cover..lol Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Baseboard Cover Reflective Material-img_0889.jpg   Baseboard Cover Reflective Material-img_0870.jpg   Baseboard Cover Reflective Material-img_0869.jpg  

Advertisement

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,822

Yes. You can double over some tin foil and it should work.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,722

I've purchased thin aluminum sheet from the news print shop at a very reasonable cost for projects similar to yours. AL foil will probably work but it can be aggravating also, to me anyway.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 7,630

Oh....baseboard heater covers.....

AL is the wrong thing to use....it's a great conductor of heat.

About the only metal that would work is stainless steel. I doubt you want to use that....

And any metal you use needs to stand off from the wood a short distance to give you an air gap...otherwise, the wood will eventually become the same temp as the metal.

Personally....I wouldn't worry about it. Not unless the wood is going to get over 140 deg.

A couple coats of exterior high gloss and you should be good to go. No different than the paint being under the glare of direct sunlight....minus the UV

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
DexterII (01-05-2016), Windows on Wash (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,822

+1

I would go with a heavier gauge metal. You can use some wood shims to keep it propped up off the hardwoods.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,722

Granted the stainless would be more reflective but as W on W states, to prevent conduction contact needs to be avoided as much as possible.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #7

I'm confused. Won't the wood absorb the heat. I need as little of that as possible and as much as possible in the room.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
JOATMON

Now I'm confused. Why is the baseboard cover built the way it is? It looks like you have vents to let the heat out.

If you want the maximum transfer of heat, use insulated duct. It is a waste of time to try and protect the wood....you still have the issue of the bottom side of the duct.

If you can't find small enough flexible duct, the use B-Vent pipe

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 01-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 178

Well, I've tried, but not the brightest, so can't seem to get it into words that would make sense to anyone. Simply put though, my thoughts are that the wood register covers are going to act just like any other object in the house, be it sofas, chairs, tables, whatever, so yes, they're going to absorb heat to a certain point, after which they are going to defer the heat to the air. Granted, it seems that they will get warmer than other objects, being closer to the source, but they don't generate the heat, so won't get as warm as the source. And just like other objects, they are going to temper the temperature a bit, in that they store heat, so as the air starts to cool again, they radiate it back to the air. Maybe I'm wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time, but I don't see this being a direct issue. Indirectly, allowing them to absorb the heat may lead to splitting and/or glue separation, but I don't know how much affect deflecting some of it may be.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 5,972

Ayuh,.... Baseboards are convective heaters, not radiant,...

By the looks of the fins on that radiation, I doubt it's gettin' anywhere near the air flow it should be gettin',....

'n I agree, whether the wood absorbs heat or not is irrelevant, unimportant,....
They DO need to promote air flow though,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #11

DD they are made similar to how the original metal ones were(see attached) vented top and bottom half. Dont understand Why you think having venting like that is an issue.

Thank for all the responses.
Attached Thumbnails
Baseboard Cover Reflective Material-image-4028043841.jpg  
Old 01-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #12
JOATMON

Ok....then there is no worry about protecting the wood. What ever heat it absorbs, it will emit.

No reason to worry about it.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (01-06-2016)