Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Baseboard Challenge

is there a pattern or cut so bring the floor panel boards around these rock steps?
Baseboard Challenge-dscf2847.jpg

Baseboard Challenge-dscf2848.jpg

rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,204

Baseboard Challenge

Can you get a wider piece of base in that same profile?

If so you can scribe it down so it meets up with the piece on the right corner, runs level over the top of the entire step and is a little wider as it goes over that drop in the middle of the step.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-13-2010 at 03:31 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
rosco (06-16-2010)
Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Baseboard Challenge

Run the base into the step, 45* miter back on itself, run the next piece vertically with a 45*miter on the bottom to join the lower and a 45* miter on top (away from itself) to join the upper horizontal one. Match the steps with the base--- changing the horizontal/vertical directions, following the riser/treads.

Be safe, Gary
rosco (06-16-2010)
Old 06-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Baseboard Challenge

Stand a piece of your trim up against the stone and scribe and cut the trim to fit. leave the piece long. Now cut a filler piece for the base and slide it into place. Hold the vertical piece in place in front of the base. Mark the top of the base and the front of the vertical where they intersect. Cut the 45° cuts on the two pieces using the marks. Install the base. Now scribe the base for on top of the step leaving it long to over hang. Put the vertical in place and slide the base for the top of the stone over against it and mark the front of the vertical and the top of the base where they intersect.. Use those marks to cut your 45° cuts.

Oh, make sure you hold the pieces level and at 90° when you scribe of mark for the 45° cut.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hayewe farm For This Useful Post:
rosco (06-16-2010)
Old 06-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #5

Baseboard Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Can you get a wider piece of base in that same profile?

If so you can scribe it down so it meets up with the piece on the right corner, runs level over the top of the entire step and is a little wider as it goes over that drop in the middle of the step.

i will need to go back to HD to see if they have similar trim of greater height. the rest of the room is finished in this trim (as of yesterday).
Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #6

Baseboard Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Run the base into the step, 45* miter back on itself, run the next piece vertically with a 45*miter on the bottom to join the lower and a 45* miter on top (away from itself) to join the upper horizontal one. Match the steps with the base--- changing the horizontal/vertical directions, following the riser/treads.

Be safe, Gary
this idea has been forefront in my mind.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #7

Baseboard Challenge

i'm not familiar with the lingo. what does this mean, "Oh, .... when you scribe of mark for the 45° cut."?

i have always been very curious how to shortcut making a mold of something to cut trim to fit something like this. i'll post a photo in a second. on a similar, but much more simply portion, i used a dremel to fit/cut/fit/cut/fit/cut.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #8

Baseboard Challenge

here is a similar fit/cut/fit/cut... project i've been working on. it still needs work, but it gives an idea of what i think hayewe farms is suggesting. but not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Baseboard Challenge-dscf2859.jpg   Baseboard Challenge-dscf2860.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #9

Baseboard Challenge

All -
am i on the right page here?
this is a horrible drawing of the rock steps. the pink is the floor paneling and the showing the "scribing" and the 45 degree angle cuts as the floor paneling ascends the steps.
Name:  design-1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  5.1 KB
Old 06-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #10

Baseboard Challenge

That is it! Just what my post and the one after me said......... I forgot to say use a compass to mark and scribe the steps/wood joints.

Be safe, Gary
rosco (06-16-2010)
Old 06-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #11

Baseboard Challenge

i'm making these cuts on the floor using a BuckBro's Miter Box and saw (Tinker Toy). i've also tried making the angle cuts and 45* cuts using a circular saw. it is a matter of time before i swipe off a finger or leg.

does anyone have a link to building a good but not so costly work bench? i'd say clamping wood in when cutting is the biggest issue at present.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #12

Baseboard Challenge

I couldn't find wider moulding of the same fashion that was pleasing to "the boss." and flexible moulding of this style was $137/12' at HD.

here is finished cuts. the room will be painted then these will be affixed in position. of course, there will be a little "mud" applied.

Thanks all yall!!!

THis must be the fifth project yall have helped me on. and i'd not have been able to start one w/o yall.
Attached Thumbnails
Baseboard Challenge-dscf2863.jpg  
Old 06-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

Baseboard Challenge

Looks pretty good.

I would have probably done something the hard way, like try to cut the rock flush with the wall and only have a single step to cut the molding around. Not exactly a convenient location to try and get some kind of rock-slicer tool in there. You'd probably have to have a diamond continuous rim wheel in a 7" grinder with some water spray-- and it would make a huge mess.

I don't think most tuck pointers are built to handle stone
Hohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #14

Baseboard Challenge

Good, now take a punch and set those nails in flush or deeper, sand the angles to get a flush look, get some paintable caulk and fill in the gaps, paint, and it will look great.
slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Baseboard Challenge

I think that looks sharp.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cut of wood, panel board