Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

baseboard around a bulge in wall

My bathroom wall has a bulge in it where a vertical drain pipe goes into the floor. (The builders apparently didn't align the pipe inside the framing). I'm looking for suggestions of how to attach baseboard in this area so that the finished work looks professional. The bulge has been drywall patched and textured.

The bulge is from an approximately 2 inch radius curve that sticks out from the wall about 1 inch. (See picture. For scale, that's the pedestal of a pedestal sink on the left, and door casement on the right. A scrap of the baseboard I'll install is shown just left of the bulge).

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
baseboard around a bulge in wall-baseboardbulge1.jpg  

henpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What a cruddy job they did!

My suggestion would be to remove as much of the sheetrock as possible where the base will cover it. Removing the thickness of the rock at the bulge will remove the bulk of the bulge. You can hide small gaps between the wall and the base (1/8" or less) with white caulk. You might have to spackle a little bit above the base, but that is easily done.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

If it wuz me, I would probably do exactly what you've done on the right side of the bump as you have on the left. Then fill the area with either water putty or drywall joint compound, and sand so that you get a more or less straight section across that bump. Maybe use some masking tape to mask off across the top of the baseboards on both sides so that after applying the joint compound, you can pull off the tape and have a straight line in the joint compound across that bump. Keep doing that until you fill the gap between the baseboard and the bump with joint compound.

Prime and paint the joint compound white to match the baseboard, and people will have to look twice to see the work-around.

Alternatively, maybe take a belt sander and bevel the 45 on that baseboard to make it more like 15 degrees, do the same for the baseboard on the right side, and then apply your water putty or whatever to cover up the problem.

Take solice in the fact that whomever sees that will realize that they couldna thought of a better way to deal with it.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-24-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #4

Two very good possible ways to address your "out too far waste line knuckle" are posted above.

It almost appears (from the good picture in your post) that the drywall was notched to clear the knuckle to allow better drywall contact to your studs. The finisher then packed the area of the notch and coated the top of the pipe joint.

Your "Make it disappear" solution will depend on 1. How far past the finished wall does the cleaned and exposed pipe joint intrude? 2. Is this pipe joint higher than the OG base board you planned on using?

You may need to consider installing a different base board. If it WUZ me,
I would make base out o 3/4" stock / dado out back side at knuckle/ install cap and shoe.

This is also a great location to place that cute little trash can.
OR the little children's step stool. [I might place my mother-in-laws picture in front of it] just kidding Leona!!!
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
What a cruddy job they did!

My suggestion would be to remove as much of the sheetrock as possible where the base will cover it. Removing the thickness of the rock at the bulge will remove the bulk of the bulge. You can hide small gaps between the wall and the base (1/8" or less) with white caulk. You might have to spackle a little bit above the base, but that is easily done.
I agree! put your base board against the wall and run you utility knife along the top. cut the bottom section of sheetrock out. beware when the SR is removed you will have some play in the SR so expect a nail or two to pop. if you need to bring the moulding out more the build it out with some 3/4 x 1/4 pine parting strips along the entire wall, you might have to 45 your return against the door casing. if you need to raise the base to cover a little larger gap, then raise it and install a piece of base shoe along the base. Good luck BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
DIY-Lifer

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

Hi I agree with all the good sugestions you have been given. The best one I like is putting the mother-in-law picture to hide it...ehhhhhhh..just kidding but the sug to make the baseboard from 3/4" stock or just add a pice or 1/4 0r 3/8 backer onto your present sample of baseboard then cut out the shape of that fast contractors pipe shape out of the back of the baseboard. I would first tho clean off most of the plaster and what not from top to bottom of the bulging pipe covering and hopefully the largest diameter of the pipe socket will be even or below the top of baseboard. If not add some stock underneath the new baseboard with backing stock and raise it just enough to clear the nast bulging pipe!!! garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..that'l do it...no one will ever really notice it till a bean counter comes along !!!! '''''''''.
Manny
izz4u2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #7

The two critical areas that are studied for flaws and imperfections are:

The wall opposite the commodes & the master bedroom ceiling.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote