DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   baseboard (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/baseboard-31823/)

drewhart 11-13-2008 09:17 PM

baseboard
 
when putting in baseboard what is the best way to take the measurments?

CrpntrFrk 11-13-2008 09:19 PM

Gotta narrow it down a bit and we could help you!

chris75 11-13-2008 09:24 PM

I like to use a tape measure, seems to be the easiest.

CrpntrFrk 11-13-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 184570)
I like to use a tape measure, seems to be the easiest.


:laughing::thumbup::whistling2::thumbsup:

chris75 11-13-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk (Post 184580)
:laughing::thumbup::whistling2::thumbsup:


Like no one knew that was coming... :laughing:

super carpenter Rob 11-13-2008 11:27 PM

when you measure ad an 1/8 of an inch so it will be tight. are you going to cope or miter the corner?coping makes a better job if your corners aren't square,if you don't know how to cope it's not that had to do but kind of hard to explain.You may find something on you tube do a web search on cope a joint or using a coping saw and you may find something,and if you cut a little long if it's to long it can be adjusted regards Rob

Termite 11-14-2008 12:16 AM

With trim, measure once, cut three times. I always cut a little long and then "sneak up" on it by test fitting and cutting a little at a time. That ensures the tightest fit.

drewhart 11-14-2008 08:56 AM

i was original going to measure by counting how many beer cans i could line up, but i like the tape measure idea better. but now i am wondering if is better to cut one side of a corner to be mitered, then putting it on the wall and meauring from the outside of that piece to the other wall? ive never installed base before and i'm just wondering if there is some generaly accepted procedure.

Marvin Gardens 11-14-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekctermite (Post 184669)
With trim, measure once, cut three times. I always cut a little long and then "sneak up" on it by test fitting and cutting a little at a time. That ensures the tightest fit.

Yup, that's how you get the best fit for sure and how I have been doing it for decades.

Marvin Gardens 11-14-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewhart (Post 184753)
i was original going to measure by counting how many beer cans i could line up, but i like the tape measure idea better. but now i am wondering if is better to cut one side of a corner to be mitered, then putting it on the wall and meauring from the outside of that piece to the other wall? ive never installed base before and i'm just wondering if there is some generaly accepted procedure.

You will find that mitered cuts on baseboards is a real talent since most walls are not that square after the drywall, taping and texturing has been applied.

Make sure you have lots of wood filler on hand especially for older homes.

DUDE! 11-15-2008 08:15 AM

It's a matter of taste but being miter challanged, I like to use the corner blocks, and Marvin, I find it best to get my wood filler in the 5 gal.bucket :laughing:

Marvin Gardens 11-15-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUDE! (Post 185182)
It's a matter of taste but being miter challanged, I like to use the corner blocks, and Marvin, I find it best to get my wood filler in the 5 gal.bucket :laughing:

Oh yea, that's me all over. :yes::yes:

I like to blame the bad framing on the framers and the bad sheet rock on the drywall guys. But some times I am all of those...

Mostly I do remodels and have to do a lot of correction work to get things lined up in homes that were build a very long time ago and have settled. This makes for some interesting corners and doing a nice miter job is not possible for what the homeowner wants to pay.

CrpntrFrk 11-15-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUDE! (Post 185182)
It's a matter of taste but being miter challanged, I like to use the corner blocks, and Marvin, I find it best to get my wood filler in the 5 gal.bucket :laughing:

Corner blocks do have thier place but I feel that in most cases a coped corner brings the best results!

wombosi 11-16-2008 06:53 PM

you're probably wondering how to measure from an inside corner to an inside corner, where a tape measure can't really reach?

use "pinch sticks" for this - any straight small ripping or scrap. overlap the sticks so both ends hit the wall, then either measure what you have while still holding on, or just transfer that length to your board.

also, where possible, mark the board IN PLACE. this is a good cardinal rule of trim carpentry. for example, you have a run from an inside corner to an outside corner: do your cope or butt joint on one end, then lay it in place, and take a sharp pencil and scribe the back of it where it meets the wall. dead nuts.

for cuts mid wall, make sure you do scarf joints. simply miter 30 degrees on the end of the board in the middle of the run. then hold up another board with a 30 cut, or the with the other cut (whichever is accessible), and mark that bastard in place.

you should be able to do all of it by marking in place. that will get you the fastest, highest quality results.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.