Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |

Base molding help...need ideas

Hello All I am new here and this is my first post. I am looking for some help here. I have converted my garage into a bonus room for our kids and I am in the process of applying base molding. The question I have is HOW? I will try to explain it the best I can.3 walls have a concrete footer sticking up and one doesnt. Now 2 of the walls the concrete is about 6 inches tall and one wall is 3 inches. The base I have (which matches the rest in the house) is 3 1/2 inches tall. My question is what can I do on the 2 walls where the concrete is about 2 inches taller than the base. I thought About just glueing the base onto the concrete and painting the 2 or so inches the color of the wall BUT the concrete sticks out about 1/2-3/4 past the drywall so there would be a pretty big gap between the back of the base and the drywall. Anyone have any idea? I tried to post pictures but they wont upload. Ill try a little later

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by Lillbush555; 09-17-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Lillbush555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #2

will wait for pictures

II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
STAFF

Is the ceiling taller in the garage than the main part of the house, if so maybe you would consider using a taller base. Where the base would set out away from the wall maybe you could use a narrow 1x with a profiled edge behind the base and let maybe 1- 1 1/2 inch show above the base, all the way around the room to keep it consistent. Just a thought.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

I think what I might do is put the base ontop of the footer then carpet up the concrete. I tried it and it looks the best of all my ideas. But I still would like imput if there is a better idea out there I will use it!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #5

waiting for images
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #6

Is this close to what you've got?

Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #7

If you're planning on attaching directly to the concrete, you could add a 3" tall (or whatever measurement you need to make the shorter concrete equal to the taller concrete) 1x board, and then install your baseboard.

Don't worry too much if the 1x board is slightly wider, or more narrow than the concrete you're placing it above.

If it's a small gap at the top of the baseboard, you can caulk it and be fine (it's hard for me to type those words being a finish carpenter ).

You can also place shims behind the baseboard, at the bottom, if your new top board sticks out beyond the concrete too far (and makes your base sit with the bottom angled in).

Then paint the taller concrete, and your newly added 1x board the wall color.

This will give you a consistent look around the perimeter of your garage.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay123 View Post
Is this close to what you've got?

Yes that is it! But the concrete on the taller side sticks out past the drywall 1/2-3/4 of a inch.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #9

If the shorter concrete is flush, then I wouldn't worry about adding the 1x then.

Yeah, the taller wall will look a little different, but after you paint the taller concrete the wall color, no one is really going to notice...it is a garage.

If you think it will bother you, you can add a 1x6 to the shorter concrete wall(s), just shim it off the floor 'til it's flush with the height of the taller concrete.

Paint the taller concrete and your 1x6 the wall color, add your baseboard (or paint all at once, when you're done), and you'll have a consistent look.

The plus side of adding the 1x6, is you can nail it to the framing above the concrete, and then you can nail your baseboard directly to the 1x6, instead of having to deal with glue etc.

I've always done all interior work, so not sure if you need to worry about the 1x6 being pressure-treated or not in this situation. It's not structural in any way, of course, and PT wood can warp as it dries, so not sure if I would consider it here.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #10

Fir out the framed wall, at least up to 3 or 4', and then drywall over the firred out part. It would also give you a chance to insulate the concrete.

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote