Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

Base cabinets on floor

What would be the wiser choice Installing kitchen base cabinets then the flooring or Flooring then the cabinets.

Thanks

Tony D

TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
Master Craftsman

Base cabinets on floor

I like my cabinets on the floor except if it is a floating floor then you put the floor up to but not under the cabinets. The worst problem with installing the floor then cabinets is if you or your cabinet installer is not carefull you can damage the floor. However if you install the cabinets then floor you will have to run quarter round to hide the gap.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #3

Base cabinets on floor

Thanks Big Dave... I like the floor down 1st myself also

Tony D
Old 10-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

Base cabinets on floor

Another consideration if you're installing cabinets first...if you're installing a dishwasher, make sure that the base cabinets are raised high enough to allow for the thickness of tile or real wood flooring in front of it or you'll trap the dishwasher.
I use a 5/8" piece of plywood under the dishwasher and plywood strips under the cabinets to take care of that.
Good LucK!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #5

Base cabinets on floor

I have new base cabinets and the dishwasher in place and I plan on tiling the floor last. The cabinets and dishwasher all have height-adjusting legs on them, so if I need to take something out for any reason, I can just drop the height on the legs. My plan is to run the tile right up to the legs, then the plinth, which attaches to the legs, will cover up the edge. I do plan on tiling beneath the stove and fridge though.
billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
General Contractor

Base cabinets on floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinak View Post
I have new base cabinets and the dishwasher in place and I plan on tiling the floor last. The cabinets and dishwasher all have height-adjusting legs on them, so if I need to take something out for any reason, I can just drop the height on the legs. My plan is to run the tile right up to the legs, then the plinth, which attaches to the legs, will cover up the edge. I do plan on tiling beneath the stove and fridge though.
Yes, but if you put in a piece of plywood the same height as the tile it will be a lot easier to get out the dishwasher if needed. The legs only adjust up so far and the back of the dishwasher doesn't adjust at all.
Hammatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #7
remodeling pro

Base cabinets on floor

Definately floor first, except for a thin "floating" floor. Anything thicker and you run the risk of appliances not fitting under the countertops. I have had some of the new "tall tub" dishwashers, especially the now popular European brands with totally enclosed soundproofing cases, that scrapped the counter top when installed ( with cabinets on top of finished floor).As for "Big Dave's" concern about having to install quarter round or shoe, that is normally done anyway. I have put in more kitchens than I care to count, but could count on my fingers the floors that were perfect enough to drop cabinets onto without a few shims or wedges under them.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #8

Base cabinets on floor

What if you are installing granite tile? Or some other expensive flooring? Does it make any sense to put expensive flooring under a cabinet, or are we talking linoleum here?
billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
Master Craftsman

Base cabinets on floor

When I install tile or wood flooring I will get the layout of the kitchen cabinets and just lay 2 or 3 inches inside of those marks so as not to waste too much.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:52 AM   #10
registered

Base cabinets on floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
When I install tile or wood flooring I will get the layout of the kitchen cabinets and just lay 2 or 3 inches inside of those marks so as not to waste too much.
Exactly nobody wants to waist money on expensive tile nobody can see I'm assuming he is talking about putting down one of those i can't think what there called the sheet on top of contact cement floors than you run the roller over it. If thats the floor then by all means lay it down first then the cabinets.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:08 AM   #11

Base cabinets on floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
i guess you could run some plywood same thickness under the cabinets where the 2 -3 inches leaves off.

tonyd
Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 AM   #12

Base cabinets on floor

well i just ordered my cabinets and i have about 4 weeks to think about the floor.

tonyd
Old 10-22-2006, 09:10 AM   #13

Base cabinets on floor

There are a few things a person should do before starting.
1- check the floor for dips and rises
2- have the measurements for the appliances.
3- check the walls for staightness and squareness.
I personaly have not installed cabinets on top of flooring other than once but it was a lino floor. One concern I would have is what if you ever have to bring up the floor for damage reasons but this also depends on what kind of flooring you are putting down.
It is certainly easier putting the flooring in first
I always run flooring under the dishwasher and well seal it.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #14

Base cabinets on floor

What is the standard height the wall cabinets are set to from the finished floor...Back splash is usually 18" is that correct.

TonyD
Old 10-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #15
Master Craftsman

Base cabinets on floor

The bottom of a wall cabinet is 54" from finished floor. You can fudge that if necessary if you or your wife is short.

edit: I wouldn't fudge it too much but you could get away with a couple of inches.