Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Base Board Trim

Another Basement question,
I am at the point of trimming out my basement. My question is whether or not to put the base board on before the carpet or after. I am plannignon putting the door trim on before carpet. My worry is that if I put the base on before carpet that the carpet will cover up to much of the base after it(carpet) is installed.
Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

cambishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Base Board Trim

Install baseboards before carpeting, space them up 1/2" to allow the carpet installer to tuck under.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 544

Base Board Trim

BEFORE. I used 2 - 1/4" tile spacers and set the base on that. It really all depends on what type of carpet you'll be putting down. If it has a high pile you can go a little higher. If it's berber or something that has low pile, then don't go quite 1/2" or you may see a small gap. Most carpet installers can make it work either way, but I've seen gaps in low pile carpet where the base trim was installed too high.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

Base Board Trim

Cambi,
I agree with the others. Put the base down first. If you are using a lower nap carpet, just use the thick end (3/8") of a shim as a spacer.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Base Board Trim

Definitely do the doors before the carpet but I prefer putting the base in after the carpet in part because the carpet installers tend to beat it up during the install. It also allows you to better adjust for any dips in the floor. You must be sure the installers set the carpet strips (nail strips) far enough away from the wall to allow future removal of the carpet. I insist on 1" plus allowance for the trim. If the trim is 1/2", set the carpet strips 1 1/2" from the wall. For 1/2" trim a 1 x 2 makes a good spacer to set the carpet strips.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Base Board Trim

I don't know why you would do it before, why not do it after, and then you can ensure its at proper fit. Unless you'll be painting or something, even still you could cover the carpet with plastic.
Herlihey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Base Board Trim

it gives the carpet dude a target to aim for...

install them first on spacers as suggested above. use a spacer according to the carpet type/size.
it looks neater and is generally a nicer job if they are on first. stained or painted, of course, before install.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Base Board Trim

the base I use 1/2" thick so i'll chop off a couple small pieces and use them as the spacers between the floor and trim. Definitely 100% goes on before carpet goes down. It is much easier to tuck the carpet under the base than it is to try and shove the base down on the carpet afterwards. It will not come out level with the floor.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Base Board Trim

The only downside is having to fix your paint job IF they aren't careful. Sometimes they beat the tar out of baseboards.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,002

Base Board Trim

The company that sells different kinds of protection for construction surfaces sells a product for protecting your baseboards during carpet installation. I don't recall the name of the company, but they sell the rolls of clear self stick carpet protection, the blue liquid rubber for protecting fiberglass tub and showers, etc. They should come up on a google search.
Mike Hawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
The only downside is having to fix your paint job IF they aren't careful. Sometimes they beat the tar out of baseboards.
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 252

Base Board Trim

Moneymgmt,

I have done it both ways and for me it works out better if I can have the carpet laid first. I seem to get a better fit between the carpet and baseboard. The added benifit is the base is not all dented and scratched by the installers. I am curious how it makes for a better fit doing the base first. Not knocking the method I would just like to understand why it is better and how to make up for any extreme dips. When I set up spacers I seem to get high spots on the base where the floor dips down when I do the carpet first. When I do the carpet I can push the base down to be flush with the carpet or in extreme cases I add little padding under the carpet between the tack strip and the wall to bring the carpet up a little.

Rege

RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote