Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

bar top

I am making a bar probably 5ft wide and with a overhang of maybe 6-8 inches on 3 sides. I used birch veneer plywood 3/4" with some moldings for the bar top. Do I need to make the bartop thicker by adding another layer of plywood underneeth. Right now it seems OK, but not sure long turn with people leaning on it etc. Here are my questions:
1) Should I add another layer of plywood. If so how thick. How to apply?
2) If your adding weight to the bartop will this make it more sturdy or less sturdy because there is more weight overhanging the sides?

Thanks you

it99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Crusty Old Dude

bar top

Your top will be plenty strong as is, but most tops have another layer as you say of build up. This is usually just a 3 or 4 inch wide strip of the same plywood covered by a 1 1/2" moulding instead of the 3/4" you mention.You can make it look as thick as you desire by beveling the built up edge/s, and the build up piece at 45 degrees and glue and pin the beveled edges together.That way you have the same plywood veneer look on the top and the edge. If planned and cut carefully, you can even match the grain to make it look like it grew that way.

Big Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

bar top

big's right,

in regards to making the countertop thicker, it will making it stronger, if the underside wont be visable i wouldnt worry about using the same type of plywood you can get away with using a lower grade for the layer below, shop grade as opposed to cabinet grade, even fir plywood will do it, fir is sanded and is used for floor sheathing so its plenty strong.. just be sure to glue the two layers together and screw them together from teh underside,, just dont over drive the screws so they come up through the finish face
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Crusty Old Dude

bar top

I only said that the same plywood be used to burn up scrap from the sheet you would start with. That way you don't need to buy two types of materials. If you already have a less expensive build up handy, then kirk is right, by all means use that instead.
Big Stud is offline   Reply With Quote