Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #1

Share |

Bar rail 45's

I am at the point of installing chicago style oak bar rails. I have 2 45 degree turns to make. the rails are angled when mounted on the bar so cutting the 45's is hard with my chop saw as I would have to duplicate the angle. I don't have a table saw so I was going to lay the rail on the bar ledges where it will be at the right angle, have someone hold it in place, mark a 45 and cut with my circular saw. The rails are expensive and I have just enough footage so I don't want to mess it up. There are days when this plumber would like to be a carpenter. Any advice would be appreciated.
almostdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Love for Construction

Bar rail 45's

Why don't you get some scrap 2x4's and cut some wedges at the correct angle of your finished bar rail and temporarily nail them to the back of the bar rail so that it 2x4 wedges will be flush against your miter saw fence, thus holding your bar rail at the correct angle.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #3

Bar rail 45's

yeah, you definitely have to have some sort of fence to get a good cut...

whatever you come up with, do a practice cut or two, maybe 1/2" from the edge if you're tight on material...if you can do a practice cut for both sides of the cut, that will let you piece them together and give a look at your results before you do the "real" cut.

J
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #4

Bar rail 45's

another thing to keep in mind is that you're probably going to have quite a bit of tear-out on the "good" side if you cut from the back....you may want to clamp whatever your using (2x4, plywood, level...whatever works for a straight-edge) to the top of the piece, but even then you're probably going to have some tear-out.

wrap some painters tape around the piece where the saw blade will go through as that will help with the tear-out

J
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote