Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #1

Share |

Baluster Centers ??

I'm installing a railing around a stairwell opening and don't know what the recommended spacing for the balusters should be. They are lathed balusters and posts. The railing will not be connecting to the stair railing. It leaves the wall...goes about 3.5 feet, makes a 90 at a post...then goes another 3.5 feet. The square part at the bottom measures 1.25 inches. What looks good...and what is code? Thanks!!

sootybuttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Baluster Centers ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootybuttercup View Post
I'm installing a railing around a stairwell opening and don't know what the recommended spacing for the balusters should be. They are lathed balusters and posts. The railing will not be connecting to the stair railing. It leaves the wall...goes about 3.5 feet, makes a 90 at a post...then goes another 3.5 feet. The square part at the bottom measures 1.25 inches. What looks good...and what is code? Thanks!!
The code is that a 4" sphere cannot be passed thru the opening in between the ballusters. Essentially, the rule of thum is 4" center to center of each balluster. You can adjust these to a smaller 'increment' if it will help align the ballusters more evenly.

Here is a good illustrative link that shows this based on the ICC. (Even tho, it is primarily a for deck descriptions, the stair and railing code is applicable) Scribe to page # 2

http://nashua.qscend.com/filestorage/51/70/151/Deck.pdf

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #3

Baluster Centers ??

Hey Atlantic...that is great...plus I'm soon starting a deck...if the weather ever clears up. Thanks!!
sootybuttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Baluster Centers ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
The code is that a 4" sphere cannot be passed thru the opening in between the ballusters. Essentially, the rule of thum is 4" center to center of each balluster. You can adjust these to a smaller 'increment' if it will help align the ballusters more evenly.

Here is a good illustrative link that shows this based on the ICC. (Even tho, it is primarily a for deck descriptions, the stair and railing code is applicable) Scribe to page # 2

http://nashua.qscend.com/filestorage/51/70/151/Deck.pdf

Better check locally on mininum rail height also. Many localities have begun requireing residential upper railing to be 42 ", which previously had been commercial, but not residential. I personally thing this high looks ridiculous in a house, but they did not ask me first.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote