Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #1

Share |

Ball and Socket Joint Question

This will be a bit difficult to describe textually, but I'll do my best. I'm trying to build my own steady-cam device for a digital camcorder of mine, and have roughly drawn out some plans. One piece of this device requires something similar to a ball and socket joint, and I wanted to see if anyone could help me narrow down my search or provide me with an alternative solution.
Basically, I need a metal or wooden rod to run through a ball of some sort (my ideas for the ball would be either a wooden ball I could purchase at a hardware store from the bannister/stair department, or one from Michaels or some other crafts store, OR the rubber spherical wheel from a castor that I would remove from the metal portion). So this rod runs through the ball and out the other side. The real trouble is that I need some kind of shell or casing to encapsulate the ball on the sides so that the rod is free to move in 360 degrees. I'm not quite sure if I've made it clear enough as to what I'm trying to build, but if any of you have ideas, I would appreciate it greatly to hear them. Thankyou.

lateralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralan
This will be a bit difficult to describe textually, but I'll do my best. I'm trying to build my own steady-cam device for a digital camcorder of mine, and have roughly drawn out some plans. One piece of this device requires something similar to a ball and socket joint, and I wanted to see if anyone could help me narrow down my search or provide me with an alternative solution.
Basically, I need a metal or wooden rod to run through a ball of some sort (my ideas for the ball would be either a wooden ball I could purchase at a hardware store from the bannister/stair department, or one from Michaels or some other crafts store, OR the rubber spherical wheel from a castor that I would remove from the metal portion). So this rod runs through the ball and out the other side. The real trouble is that I need some kind of shell or casing to encapsulate the ball on the sides so that the rod is free to move in 360 degrees. I'm not quite sure if I've made it clear enough as to what I'm trying to build, but if any of you have ideas, I would appreciate it greatly to hear them. Thankyou.
As a former videographer, I'd suggest you just buy a steady-cam.

Otherwise, here is a quick DIY model.

Last edited by manhattan42; 07-31-2006 at 11:06 PM.
manhattan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #3

Did you post a link?
lateralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:31 AM   #4

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/
manhattan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
renovations

That's pretty impressive, tks for the link.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:26 AM   #6

Lightbulb

I'm actually trying to build a steady cam as well and I drew up some schematics for exactly what you are looking for in AutoCad. My cousin works in a Machine Shop and I'm going to try and get him to manufacture it. If you are interested I could send you the draft. I believe you can get a copy of the .DWF viewer from the AutoDesk website or I can send it as well.
swc1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swc1258 View Post
I'm actually trying to build a steady cam as well and I drew up some schematics for exactly what you are looking for in AutoCad. My cousin works in a Machine Shop and I'm going to try and get him to manufacture it. If you are interested I could send you the draft. I believe you can get a copy of the .DWF viewer from the AutoDesk website or I can send it as well.
Would you be willing to post the file here in a PDF format? If you can't convert it, post the DWF file and I'll help out.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
so-elitecrete

might already be avail as motorcycle owners/riders use ball 'n' socket holders
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #9

Arrow

I couldn't get it as a PDF but I have placed the file here as an AutoCad drawing http://www.driveway.com/c2d2v3u7j8 and here as a BMP http://www.driveway.com/j2z2a7f4v7. I hope this helps. If you have any questions or comments, please post.
swc1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #10

Go to www.mcmaster.com and enter "ball joint" in the "find products" box on the left.

LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote