DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ball and Socket Joint Question

11K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  LanterDan 
#1 ·
This will be a bit difficult to describe textually, but I'll do my best. I'm trying to build my own steady-cam device for a digital camcorder of mine, and have roughly drawn out some plans. One piece of this device requires something similar to a ball and socket joint, and I wanted to see if anyone could help me narrow down my search or provide me with an alternative solution.
Basically, I need a metal or wooden rod to run through a ball of some sort (my ideas for the ball would be either a wooden ball I could purchase at a hardware store from the bannister/stair department, or one from Michaels or some other crafts store, OR the rubber spherical wheel from a castor that I would remove from the metal portion). So this rod runs through the ball and out the other side. The real trouble is that I need some kind of shell or casing to encapsulate the ball on the sides so that the rod is free to move in 360 degrees. I'm not quite sure if I've made it clear enough as to what I'm trying to build, but if any of you have ideas, I would appreciate it greatly to hear them. Thankyou.

#2 · (Edited)
lateralan said:
This will be a bit difficult to describe textually, but I'll do my best. I'm trying to build my own steady-cam device for a digital camcorder of mine, and have roughly drawn out some plans. One piece of this device requires something similar to a ball and socket joint, and I wanted to see if anyone could help me narrow down my search or provide me with an alternative solution.
Basically, I need a metal or wooden rod to run through a ball of some sort (my ideas for the ball would be either a wooden ball I could purchase at a hardware store from the bannister/stair department, or one from Michaels or some other crafts store, OR the rubber spherical wheel from a castor that I would remove from the metal portion). So this rod runs through the ball and out the other side. The real trouble is that I need some kind of shell or casing to encapsulate the ball on the sides so that the rod is free to move in 360 degrees. I'm not quite sure if I've made it clear enough as to what I'm trying to build, but if any of you have ideas, I would appreciate it greatly to hear them. Thankyou.
As a former videographer, I'd suggest you just buy a steady-cam.

Otherwise, here is a quick DIY model.

#6 ·
I'm actually trying to build a steady cam as well and I drew up some schematics for exactly what you are looking for in AutoCad. My cousin works in a Machine Shop and I'm going to try and get him to manufacture it. If you are interested I could send you the draft. I believe you can get a copy of the .DWF viewer from the AutoDesk website or I can send it as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.