Bad Install Of Kitchen Cabinets - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bad install of kitchen cabinets

The previous owner of my house was a "handyman". And I use the word handy VERY loosely. I never met him, so I can't say anything about the latter.

Anyway, after I moved in I started seeing little things that annoyed the crap out of me. One of the things is the kitchen cabinets. They were installed individually without being screwed together, so the faces were not flush. K.. that I can fix. Well, in order to do that, I had to remove the soffit and crown molding that he had installed. Suffice to say, I would have done it differently.

Getting to the root question. On the ends of the cabinets, the frame extends past the side of the cabinet. How do you do the corner? Do you bring it flush with the face? Step back the side to match the side of the cabinet? I am contemplating losing the soffit and just attaching the crown to the cabinets, but am unsure how it will look. There is just shy of 6.5" from the top of the cabinets to the ceiling.

I've attached pictures of where I'm at and some of the bad parts.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4226.jpg   Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4227.jpg   Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4228.jpg   Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4229.jpg   Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4230.jpg  

Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4231.jpg  

Advertisement

avallk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

Additional pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4232.jpg   Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4233.jpg   Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4234.jpg   Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4235.jpg   Bad install of kitchen cabinets-img_4236.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

There are a couple of methods of addressing the issue of the frame reveal.

The first would have been to upgrade the cabinets to a flush side from the factory. Not gonna happen now, but useful to know in the future if you replace them.

The second would be to order a "skin" (a thin veneer panel) to flush the side out with the frame. If you know what brand the cabinets are, you can order that from a local dealer and apply it. (They look like American Woodmark (HD) or Shenendoah (Lowes) or Timberland (dealers) door in a Spice Maple)

The third is what a lot of budget contractors do and ignore the recess, running the crown straight across the side. Then they cover the gap with a piece of scribe molding. It's a small enough piece that if you don't have that on hand, you might be able to just stain and finish enough to blend in OK.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

Actually, I did just replace one as it had been water damaged. Good guess, they are Shenendoah. I didn't know about the flush side. And naturally the Lowe's person didn't mention it to me either. Bummer.

I'll have to see about the veneer panel to bring it out to flush as the scribe molding would only work if I dropped the crown to the top of the cabinet and got rid of the soffit. I've gotten mixed feedback from friends and family as to what will look better. I know I have to fix the ceiling anyway - hate that ^@&)(&@# textured ceiling.

Thanks for the info on options.

Ken