Bad Header - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

bad header

Normally I consider myself pretty handy around the house and consider my work reliable, but I have a major screw up I need to fix. I installed a new back door in my house and had to alter the size of the opening and in my haste to get the project done I merely toe-nailed a 2x4 as a header as a temporary fix, but went ahead and made the installation permanent. Now I want to go in and make it a proper header with double 2x6's. It seems as though I could just remove the drywall from the interior cut the studs to fit and install, but do I need to put in temporary support for the cut studs being such a short time frame, if so how should I support.

facts-
36" door
1 Story portion of house

Advertisement

psanders7983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

bad header

Pretty hard to support the roof of the home while replacing the header...It isn't like a floor where you can easily get something under it to support it.

Opening it from the outside and the inside would allow you to replace on ply of the header at a time. Otherwise, work quick. If this were a wider door I'd never suggest that you could do it, but there's a pretty good chance that you'll have no issues removing the old one and getting a new one in.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,258

bad header

You could take an extra 2x6 and nail it to the wall above the door up tight against the ceiling as a very temporary header. Make it long enough to be able to nail into a couple studs on either side of the door opening. You'll end up with a few nail holes to patch but your going to do some drywall patching anyway.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

bad header

Do not over think the program here. Take four 2x4x8' if the ceiling height is 8'. T- two 2x4's together - twice- Take a piece of any material that is 2x or thicker and set it on floor. Measure to ceiling and cut the T-shaped post to length. The piece sitting on the floor should be wider than your opening and now you need to hold it to the ceiling and install one of the 2x4 T-braces. Than follow with the second post. These should fit snug. If they don't just use some cedar shims to tighten the posts to the ceiling. Once this is installed you can go ahead and work on the header. I usually give myself about 3 feet between the door and the temp brace. This will hold the roof and you can also raise the ceiling up if some sagging has taken place.
Paul T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

bad header

If it didn't sag with a 2x4 toenailed in place, then I wouldn't get too concerned with temporary support. It should have sagged by now if were going to. That said, I wouldn't allow it to sag over time either. Open it up and install the proper header. I assume that the king studs and jack studs are in place. If not, install the proper studs and laminate a header in place. Use construction adhesive between the 2x6s as you install them.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote