Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Back Panel on Oven Cabinet?

I'm installing a built-in oven in an 80" high pantry cabinet. The oven installation instructions say to allow a minimum cutout depth of 23 1/2". The cabinet depth is 23 3/4", but that includes 3/4" for the rear panel, so the interior depth is only 23". I can add a face frame if necessary, to provide another 3/4" of depth, but I'd rather not do that for aesthetic reasons (none of the cabinets have face frames now). Any reason I can't (or shouldn't) remove the back panel from that section of the cabinet? The wall behind the cabinet is standard sheetrock.

richp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Personally, I see no reason why you can't cut that out, unless it would affect the structural integrity of the cabinetry.which it shouldn't.

Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp0 View Post
I'm installing a built-in oven in an 80" high pantry cabinet. The oven installation instructions say to allow a minimum cutout depth of 23 1/2". The cabinet depth is 23 3/4", but that includes 3/4" for the rear panel, so the interior depth is only 23". I can add a face frame if necessary, to provide another 3/4" of depth, but I'd rather not do that for aesthetic reasons (none of the cabinets have face frames now). Any reason I can't (or shouldn't) remove the back panel from that section of the cabinet? The wall behind the cabinet is standard sheetrock.
The rear panel is likely 1/4" thick. I've never seen a complete 3/4" back, only 3/4" cleats the cabinet gets attached to the wall through.
If you have to cut a cleat, I'd add additional bracing above the area, especially for a frameless cabinet at the end of a cabinet run.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The rear panel is likely 1/4" thick. I've never seen a complete 3/4" back, only 3/4" cleats the cabinet gets attached to the wall through.
If you have to cut a cleat, I'd add additional bracing above the area, especially for a frameless cabinet at the end of a cabinet run.
The rear panel is only 1/8" thick, dadoed into the side panels. There's a 4" wide by 5/8" thick cleat behind it, across the top of the cabinet. There's no cleat in the area where the oven will be mounted.
richp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp0 View Post
The rear panel is only 1/8" thick, dadoed into the side panels. There's a 4" wide by 5/8" thick cleat behind it, across the top of the cabinet. There's no cleat in the area where the oven will be mounted.
Where is the cabinet situated? Cabinets on both sides or on the end?
If on the end(or free standing), I'd mount "L" brackets on the cabinet sides(4) and into the wall to keep the sides from splaying?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
richp0 (06-30-2011)

Tags
cabinet, oven installation