DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   Back Panel on Oven Cabinet? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/back-panel-oven-cabinet-109201/)

richp0 06-29-2011 04:30 PM

Back Panel on Oven Cabinet?
 
I'm installing a built-in oven in an 80" high pantry cabinet. The oven installation instructions say to allow a minimum cutout depth of 23 1/2". The cabinet depth is 23 3/4", but that includes 3/4" for the rear panel, so the interior depth is only 23". I can add a face frame if necessary, to provide another 3/4" of depth, but I'd rather not do that for aesthetic reasons (none of the cabinets have face frames now). Any reason I can't (or shouldn't) remove the back panel from that section of the cabinet? The wall behind the cabinet is standard sheetrock.

Stanchek 06-29-2011 09:08 PM

Personally, I see no reason why you can't cut that out, unless it would affect the structural integrity of the cabinetry.which it shouldn't.

Ron6519 06-30-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richp0 (Post 676690)
I'm installing a built-in oven in an 80" high pantry cabinet. The oven installation instructions say to allow a minimum cutout depth of 23 1/2". The cabinet depth is 23 3/4", but that includes 3/4" for the rear panel, so the interior depth is only 23". I can add a face frame if necessary, to provide another 3/4" of depth, but I'd rather not do that for aesthetic reasons (none of the cabinets have face frames now). Any reason I can't (or shouldn't) remove the back panel from that section of the cabinet? The wall behind the cabinet is standard sheetrock.

The rear panel is likely 1/4" thick. I've never seen a complete 3/4" back, only 3/4" cleats the cabinet gets attached to the wall through.
If you have to cut a cleat, I'd add additional bracing above the area, especially for a frameless cabinet at the end of a cabinet run.

richp0 06-30-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron6519 (Post 677095)
The rear panel is likely 1/4" thick. I've never seen a complete 3/4" back, only 3/4" cleats the cabinet gets attached to the wall through.
If you have to cut a cleat, I'd add additional bracing above the area, especially for a frameless cabinet at the end of a cabinet run.

The rear panel is only 1/8" thick, dadoed into the side panels. There's a 4" wide by 5/8" thick cleat behind it, across the top of the cabinet. There's no cleat in the area where the oven will be mounted.

Ron6519 06-30-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richp0 (Post 677172)
The rear panel is only 1/8" thick, dadoed into the side panels. There's a 4" wide by 5/8" thick cleat behind it, across the top of the cabinet. There's no cleat in the area where the oven will be mounted.

Where is the cabinet situated? Cabinets on both sides or on the end?
If on the end(or free standing), I'd mount "L" brackets on the cabinet sides(4) and into the wall to keep the sides from splaying?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved