Avoiding "Gap" Between 2 Windows - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Avoiding "Gap" Between 2 Windows

Converting garage into family room. I want to have a set of double windows installed. I thought I could go out and buy two regular windows and have them installed side-by-side. Now I am worried.

I want to make sure our windows are side-by-side, with little gap between them. Our nieghbors, who also converted their garage, bought 2 windows, and now there is a several inch gap between the two. They filled the gap with siding, and the wife and I hate the look.

Here is a picture I found on the Internet, similar to the neighbors. notice the several inch gap:

Instead, I want the windows to be side-by-side with no gap, like this example:

So what did the nieghbors do wrong that left them with such a wide gap between windows?

Can I put two sperate windows side-by-side with no gap, or should I have custom ordered a twin window?

Thanks,

Chris

Advertisement

wrldruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It totally depends on the header over the windows. If there is a header over each window, there must be at least 4 studs between the two windows. If there is one header that spans both rough openings, you can get two windows ganged together from the factory or you can use only a couple studs and minimize the gap.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

As KC stated; one properly framed opening and a mulled pair of windows, no space between them is how they are made. Otherwise, 2 seperate ones must be as your picture shows.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I'm good now. Andersen sells a Joining Kit.

Just for the record, for all those thinking of running down to the Home Depot to buy Andersen windows.....

Home Depot said it would take 2 weeks to get the kit in at a cost of $37.

Called my local building supply. They had more Andersen windows in stock than Home Depot. Price was maybe $10 more per window. They had the kit in stock. They even offered to put the 2 windows together for about $50 in labor, and offered to do it within the hour if I needed. And they were helpful, knowledgeable, and just generally eager to please.

So I am returning the HD windows, and spending the extra $70 at the local building supply, and will have the exact windows I want within an hour.

Thanks everyone.
wrldruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

And people question why contractors avoid Home Dumpo? Why does it cost us a bit more for our materials?
Thanks for the reinforcement of what we have been saying for years.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #6

The bottom line here is structure.

You can get by with closely spaced windows ONLY if you have a solid header over the whole thing. From what I can see of your picture I would go with a minimum of a double 2x10 with a filler between them of 1/2 inch ply or OSB. Then you can get by with only one stud in the middle and the windows would be very close together.

I have a similar situation and had to put in a a massive header since I have 12 feet of windows close together on the support side of the roof. I had to build in a temporary wall to hold it up to install the header.

It's not that difficult to do but you have to be thinking support the whole time.

Nothing like cutting out some studs and watch the roof sag. Or years from now watch the windows crack as the weight pushes on the edges of the glass.

Advertisement

Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote