Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

attic access

I want to put attic access into my garage. My 2x8s are 16 inches apart and I would like to cut one to widen access. Is this safe and what kind of bracing does it need?

jdgmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

attic access

you'll need to double up the two ceiling joists which are going to be the sides of the opening plus header off the opening

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

attic access

If in the U.S., you may be under the IRC: R502.10 Framing of openings. Openings in floor framing shall be framed with a header and trimmer joists. When the header joist span does not exceed 4 feet (1219 mm), the header joist may be a single member the same size as the floor joist. Single trimmer joists may be used to carry a single header joist that is located within 3 feet (914 mm) of the trimmer joist bearing. When the header joist span exceeds 4 feet (1219 mm), the trimmer joists and the header joist shall be doubled and of sufficient cross section to support the floor joists framing into the header. Approved hangers shall be used for the header joist to trimmer joist connections when the header joist span exceeds 6 feet (1829 mm). Tail joists over 12 feet (3658 mm) long shall be supported at the header by framing anchors or on ledger strips not less than 2 inches by 2 inches (51 mm by 51 mm). From: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par031.htm

Gary
Old 11-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

attic access

BC building codes state that all openings in garages are to be weather stripped and self closing, and that includes attic accesses.

That's for your own safety, to block the passage of carbon monoxide, which is not to be treated lightly.
househugger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to househugger For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (11-16-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

attic access

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
If in the U.S., you may be under the IRC: R502.10 Framing of openings. Openings in floor framing shall be framed with a header and trimmer joists. When the header joist span does not exceed 4 feet (1219 mm), the header joist may be a single member the same size as the floor joist. Single trimmer joists may be used to carry a single header joist that is located within 3 feet (914 mm) of the trimmer joist bearing. When the header joist span exceeds 4 feet (1219 mm), the trimmer joists and the header joist shall be doubled and of sufficient cross section to support the floor joists framing into the header. Approved hangers shall be used for the header joist to trimmer joist connections when the header joist span exceeds 6 feet (1829 mm). Tail joists over 12 feet (3658 mm) long shall be supported at the header by framing anchors or on ledger strips not less than 2 inches by 2 inches (51 mm by 51 mm). From: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par031.htm

Gary
But if I got a dollar for everyone I saw done that way, I'd still be a very poor man!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

attic access

For sure. Lol Usually (95%) of the time, they are installed in the hall ceiling, or bedroom closet ceiling. And, within 3' of the walls nearby to meet the distance rule, which was recently added to Code.... though many garage accesses would fail.

Gary
Old 11-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

attic access

As previously mentioned, double the joist on each side of the opening (trimmer joists) and install single headers, I like to use joist hangers rather than just box nailing or toe nailing. But, a garage that is attached to a one-family dwelling has required a 45 minute fire separation in most jurisdictions for at least 25 years. If you have that rated separation, e.g. 5/8" type X gypsum board on the walls and ceiling, taped and spacked, with a self closing rated door and jamb to the house, then you may not want to compromise that fire separation, or depending on your configuration, add 5/8" type X gypsum board to a knee wall or sidewall that is common with the living space.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

attic access

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgmsg View Post
I want to put attic access into my garage. My 2x8s are 16 inches apart and I would like to cut one to widen access. Is this safe and what kind of bracing does it need?
No it is not safe. You have too many issues that need to be answered.
To start what is the wieght of the load for the joists that you want to cut?