Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Attaching Limestone Sills to Wood Framing

Hey there. I posted this originally in the construction forum but got zero replies. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

I am getting ready to remove a panel of five existing single-sash windows in the front of my house. To add some character, I intend on installing 3 round-top casement windows in this opening with brick surrounds. I would also like to use limestone sills beneath each of the three windows. My house is balloon framed construction with stucco exterior.

My questions are as follows:
1. How would I go about connecting the limestone sills to the framing? I had considered drilling holes into the bottoms of the sills and epoxying threaded studs. Then I could drill corresponding holes in the wooden sills, set the sills and apply washers and nuts below to secure.

2. Do I need to install any sort of moisture barrier between the stone and wood to prevent water damage due to rain wicking into the stone?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
carpentry

It seems like you have a decent knowledge of construction, your instincts seem right on so trust them...I don't see any problems with your attatchment idea. You are right about using a waterproof membrane to keep the limestone seperated from the wooden structure. I've never encountered this situation myself, there's good chance few have...anyway I was thinking a Z bend in metal flashing, one 90* covering the back side of the stone sill, and one 90* lipping the exterior stucco with the sides of the RO flashed with Ice and Water, or metal, set the sill in a large bead of silicone, especially around the bolts...my advice is certainly open to debate

I hope I've been of some help!

WNYcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #3

I came across this site http://www.caststone.net/designer/ca...l.asp?CatID=24 you may want to ask them for installation instructions.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYcarpenter View Post
...anyway I was thinking a Z bend in metal flashing, one 90* covering the back side of the stone sill, and one 90* lipping the exterior stucco with the sides of the RO
Yeah, you're right all the way. This is like, construction 101 and I was having a brain toot thinking about the limestone. I'll definitely flash as recommended.

BTW: What is "Ice and Water?" Something similar to Tyvek?

Thanks for the advice, it was helpful.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
carpentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
Yeah, you're right all the way. This is like, construction 101 and I was having a brain toot thinking about the limestone. I'll definitely flash as recommended.

BTW: What is "Ice and Water?" Something similar to Tyvek?

Thanks for the advice, it was helpful.
Ice and water is a generic term...it's the adhesive underlayment used in roofing, WeatherSheild, and Grace just to name a couple. Comes in rolls like felt/tar paper.

There's all kinds of flashing products to choose from. I was just skimming through an article in a trade journal demonstrating a method used to flash a recessed window. www.fortifiber.com is the product website.

If you haven't already finished your project, a pictue would be nice to see.
WNYcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYcarpenter View Post
If you haven't already finished your project, a pictue would be nice to see.
HA! I haven't even closed on the home equity loan! At this time, I'm just planning, getting my designs ratified and procuring some of the cheaper materials, like sills, face brick, lumber, etc. I like to plan thoroughly before any major undertaking, like this one.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #7

BigJimmy,

I am working on a project with an identical objective: attaching a limestone sill to 2x6 construction with stucco exterior. Did the threaded stud idea work?
blair.gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
General Contractor

I completed a project similiar to yours recently. First of all, unless you have some support under the limestone you will have to use something like a limestone veneer. What we did on our stucco house was notch the studs so the stone could slip into the notch and add support. the stucco was 3/4'' thick so that added some support and the overall stone depth was 3-1/2" so we had a 1-1/2" projection. the stone was glued in place. The stucco came second and caulk last. It worked out well for us.
Illinois G.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #9

Illinois et. al. - Do any of you guys have drawings you could upload? I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how I am going to attach the limestone with such a minimal depth of exterior sill (about 3 inches total.) I am thinking I might need an L bracket or something similar to screw into the plywood sheathing for support. Seeing drawings would be fantastic, even if they are quick sketches.

Thanks!

-blair

blair.gardner is offline   Reply With Quote