Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Attaching 4x4 posts to concrete

I am building a handrail on an existing concrete walkway. The contractor who built the walkway left 3 inch diameter holes 5 inches deep every six feet for a handrail but the work was never finished. The actual holes are 3 1/4 inches ID but there is a plastic sleeve in each hole that brings it to 3 inches. I want to attach 4x4 posts to these holes and am looking to either make a flange of some kind with 2.875 OD steel. or find a supplier who already makes them. I would also like a recommendation for an epoxy or similar product to anchor the metal into the concrete holes.

misterbarryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #2

a couple options for you. You can buy a 4 bolt post that anchors to the concrete with slam anchors or epoxy anchors. I would fill in the 3" holes with some hydraulic cement to prvent any water/debris build up. Sinc you allready have the holes drilled you can buy the post anchors that you use for small decks looks like a squared U or a 4x4 post box witha piece or rebar sticking out of the bottom You can set these in hydraulic cement in the holes you all ready have. Also if you know of a local fabrication shop you could have them take make a custom support by welding some 3" O.D steel pipe to a bracket similar to what I described above that will drop right in the holes. Hilti/redhead epoxy is the way to go for concrete epoxy anchoring

brianford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Carpenter

A simple thought that may or may not work for you.
Couldn't you set a circular saw to 45 degrees and cut the corners off the lower part of the 4x4 creating an octagon shape on the lower part that is 3" in diameter and slip it into the holes leaving the top part square?

What were the contractors intentions for the 3" holes?

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)
dtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 AM   #4

thank you of giving me idea about that, it is nice to know things like that.
desiree_furman is offline   Reply With Quote