Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Share |

Attach Brass To Wood

I have a brass Om sign. I am making a wood plaque to hang by the front door. The wood will be stained and possibly clearcoated, not sure yet. I need recommendations on attaching the brass to the plaque. Also, any recommendations on hanging it on a stucco exterior wall? I'm not that worried about theft but would hate to have somebody swipe it so I guess a secure attachment would be preferable.

Measurements are approx 8" x 8". The finished product will be approx 12" square with trim around the edges.

Thx in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Attach Brass To Wood-20130411_111223.jpg  

CosmicMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Roofmaster

Attach Brass To Wood

I would Rout the mahogany block to receive the brass Icon, then braze three brass flat head 3/16 screws to the back of your Om. Drill and countersink the back of the wood block with a forstner bit and install flat washers and nuts. After finishing back screw the block from inside your home through the wall. I would rout the edge of your block with a round over bit, prior to staining and finishing. Polish the brass then handle with gloves and finish with clear lacquer before it can tarnish.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

Attach Brass To Wood

Well I think that's a great plan but I don't have a router. I could have somebody braze on screws though.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Roofmaster

Attach Brass To Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicMiami View Post
Well I think that's a great plan but I don't have a router. I could have somebody braze on screws though.
Aw come on, everybody owns a router or three.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #5

Attach Brass To Wood

Prior to posting, I thought about sending the piece to a friend who I know has one of those fancy computer routers but didn't want to get that crazy with the project. Trying to keep it simple. I do have a friend who can braze on screws so I will do that.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Attach Brass To Wood

I really like the idea of recessing the piece into the wood. I would take the piece someplace and have the recess sandblasted though. Make the resist yourself (just need a sheet of material and an x-acto knife) to save you some money and it shouldn't cost much for the actual blasting. The sandblaster could also make the resist with a photo process but the shape would be easy enough to cut out with a hobby knife?

There are also online companies that will sandblast or laser etch the recess for you. Again, not that expensive but for shipping back and forth.

Stain and clear coat the wood with UV protection products for sure.

Pins as described and construction adhesive on the back of the brass should hold it in place. Use brass for the pins though so you do not have electrolysis problems with unlike metals.

As for mounting the whole thing? If it happens to line up with studs in the wall you just need some long screws. If not, you will have to plunk in some anchors in the stucco first or use tapcons or something.

Countersink the screw heads and plug over the top for a fastener free look.

Nice idea. I hung a copper printing plate for an artist friend to use as his studio signage once. Looks great against a brick wall. He leaves it alone and does not polish it. Brass polish is in your future if you want it shiny of course. Please post a picture in the projects section when this is all done?

Flitz comes in a tube or can. A little goes a long way. It is a really nice all purpose polish that works great on brass. It is not so coarsely abrasive as Brasso. You will find lots of uses for it.

When installing outdoor sculptures for art galleries I applied Renaissance Wax/Polish, left the rest of the can, and instructed buyers to apply 2-4 times per year. Brush it on with a relatively stiff brush to get in all the metal pores, than buff. Expensive but it is used by restorers, preservationists, galleries and museums the world over and a little jar will last you a long time.

Last edited by user1007; 04-14-2013 at 05:11 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #7

Attach Brass To Wood

I agree with the sand blasting or the CNC milling. Those would be your fastest options for a recessed plate. If you want to do it the fast way then finish the wood and glue the plate on with some hot glue and PL premium adhesive. The hot glue holds till the adhesive sets then you are in good shape.
jessrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #8

Attach Brass To Wood

Easy enough to braze on the machine screws. Heated the piece in the oven for about 30 minutes so as not to create too much of a heat flux and warp.

I like the milling option but for this project it was not feasible. If I decide to do more of these sorts of things I will explore the option.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Household Handyman

Attach Brass To Wood

The OP stated that he/she could have the screws (preferred flat head machine screws) brazed on--that would be my first option anyway. Depending on IF you want the emblem to "stand off" from the wood or to be imbedded (routed in) the screws would still be my choice. IF you had the screws brazed on then you would only need to drill a clearance hole, somehow countersink the front for the head of the screw, and provide a recessed area on the back to get a nut on the screw. Good Luck
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
CosmicMiami (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #10

Attach Brass To Wood

So here's the finished project. The miter cuts aren't as accurate as I would have preferred but it's a new saw and I'm still getting accustomed to it. I did braze on a couple screws. Very easy. I only put on two but now realize I need to add a couple more. I will do that. It's light gauge brass so I heated it in the oven first to avoid warping. To give the paint a distressed look, I put it in the same oven after painting. I like the look.

Thanks for the advice y'all. Trying to figure out how to upload the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Attach Brass To Wood-902607_10200192248983359_937555673_o.jpg