Asbestos Help? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Hey

Rewards Points: 10

Asbestos help?

Hello, I was not really sure where to post this, so sorry in advance if this is in the wrong area.

My family owns a building that has 9x9 tiles and we are pretty sure that they are asbestos. The problem is that it is a really old building, there are huge holes in a lot of the floors, I don't know how the joists are under the floor if they need to be replaced. I don't want to remove the asbestos because I hear it can be expensive and hard to do. There are openings so it rains inside a lot causing more damage to the tiles that are there. Some places are real weak and feel like they are going to fall through at anytime when you are walking on it.

Also some insulation has fallen and I am not sure if that contains asbestos or not.

My main question is, can I remove this insulation, I am going to take out all the walls in the whole building, it is 126 by 26, and put new walls in.

So if I was to remove all the walls and insulation in trash bags, how can I replace the floor joists with out touching the tile to make it anymore dusty or worse, and is there a sealent I can put on the floor and then put new plywood and tile over that? or do I really need to do the expensive removal of this tile?

Thank you for your time and replies.

Advertisement

Hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Asbestos help?

You cannot mess around with this or do the containment yourself. And you are liable to hurt yourself in the process. Find a licensed abatement contractor. If you do it yourself, and anyone working in the building claims asbestos related lung illness or whatever, you will end up paying a lot more than you will for abatement in legal settlements. And you will have to disclose the asbestos just to sell or otherwise rid yourself of the building.

Some municipalities (that have any money) are offering grants to offset abatement costs.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Asbestos help?

Very much not an expert here, but I understand regulations regarding removal can vary state to state, and town to town. In your shoes, I think my first step would be to my local building department to find out about testing, removal, and disposal regulations.

FWIW, the insulation would worry me a lot more than the tiles.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Does it All

Asbestos help?

well first if there are SMALL crumbled pieces of the tile and insulation laying on the floor. you personally can take samples to a lab.. now I know that there are going to be people on here saying that it is "Horrible advice to tell him to even touch the asbestos" truth is you'll be fine use some gloves or tweezers to pick it up put it directly in a zip lock bag. if you are even more concerned spritz it with a water bottle first. truth is you can take it to a lab to have them tell you if it is asbestos and it should only cost you about 20-25$ if you have a company come look at it, it could cost you quite a bit for them to do the same thing and COULD come back not asbestos. I have seen it a few times with my father in law.
Artic50000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #5

Asbestos help?

If the tiles are 9 X 9, the probability of asbestos in the tile is about 99.9%
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #6

Asbestos help?

It sounds like the asbestos tiles are the least of your problems. Water on these tiles will not damage them, they are just about impervious to water. Not so the wood underneath.
Stop the water from getting into the house, then worry about the tile.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Hey

Asbestos help?

Well, Asbestos is most of my worries, the clean up I heard will run me between 6 and 8k.

So there is no chance of sealing broken tiles? =\
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #8

Asbestos help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey View Post
Well, Asbestos is most of my worries, the clean up I heard will run me between 6 and 8k.

So there is no chance of sealing broken tiles? =\
Cover the tiles with another flooring material.
Ron
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Asbestos help?

The rules for containing asbestos by sealing over it have tightened up too. And as I understand it, you have to disclose it is there. And you said you have some subfloor work to do? Better resolve that first.

I know abating and removing it is a lot of money but costs for doing so are not going to go down. Someone is going to figure out that their local landfills shouldn't be filling up with the stuff in inappropriate containers.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
Hey

Asbestos help?

well we bought the place in November 2009, that was our closing date. The guy never disclosed to us that it had asbestos in it. Can someone tell me if he would be the one who is responsible for the clean up bill? thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Does it All

Asbestos help?

no because you dont know if it is asbestos or not either..same with lead work too. As long as you don't have Evidence that says it is lead you dont have to treat it as lead.. so if the guy has never tested to see if it is asbestos or was told 100% with out a doubt (lab tests) that it is asbestos he doesnt have to tell you. because he can deny that he knew it was asbestos..unless you could prove that he knew it ( results of lab tests).. nothing you can do.
Artic50000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #12

Asbestos help?

Quote:
well we bought the place in November 2009, that was our closing date. The guy never disclosed to us that it had asbestos in it. Can someone tell me if he would be the one who is responsible for the clean up bill? thanks
Didn't you have the structure inspected? No lawyer to advise on older buildings?
Ron
Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #13
Hey

Asbestos help?

eBay auction, they don't allow you time to have it inspected or anything, which is fine with me. I guess I will just deal with it, it is a property in a good area in Virginia, so if I can get it fixed, it'll be a good investment. thought I would already have it fixed, but the economy has hit me hard as well as many people. =\
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #14

Asbestos help?

Quote:
eBay auction, they don't allow you time to have it inspected or anything, which is fine with me. I guess I will just deal with it, it is a property in a good area in Virginia, so if I can get it fixed, it'll be a good investment. thought I would already have it fixed, but the economy has hit me hard as well as many people. =\
You bought a house on Ebay, without even having it inspected?
Because there wasn't time?
Scary.
Ron
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Asbestos help?

Have you made sure this thing is not on your state or the federal EPA watch list. Pray there are not old oil or fuel tanks on the property. An ex-girlfriend's family sold the family carnation growing business in Northern California for millions at one point. Beautiful property, prime location, and they disclosed everything they new including the fact their were numerous fuel storage tanks used at one point for heaters for the greenhouses.

All was well. Land got leveled and graded and the buyers went for permits to put multi-unit residential housing on the land. CAEPA and EPA said no way without cleaning up what was there. Buyer's sued my girlfriend's family and got nowhere since they had honestly disclosed everything. It cost the buyer's about three times what they paid for the property to clean it up.

I remember somebody else on television bidding sight unseen on a beautiful old mansion, still structurally sound somewhere, that had been languishing on the market for ages. Signed the deal, got the keys and found like 600 cats living in the thing.

Hope you did not buy into that sort of situation here. Now that you mention you bought this on ebay, I am guessing the seller knew much more than was disclosed. Hope the property works out if the building is not worth dumping money into. Good luck.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 04-14-2011 at 03:21 PM.