Arced Or Bent Cabinet Face - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Just North West of Phila PA
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10

arced or bent cabinet face

Can anyone tell me where to get pre-bent or arced wood for a half round cabinet face? I know there out there somewhere.


riverrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 3,590
Rewards Points: 2,000

any cabinet or plywood supplier will provide this. Or best to just buy the doors you want already made. Many companies are available online.


Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Registered User
Termite's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Rewards Points: 2,000

It is normally done on a shaper, and isn't going to be an off-the-shelf item anywhere. As Bob said, you'll need to go to a cabinet shop.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
General Contractor
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stafford, VA
Posts: 534
Rewards Points: 500

You can make these yourself. There are several ways to do it and all have been covered in various publications. You can start with the complete manual of wood bending by Lon Schleining (sp?). If you're planning on building the cabinets yourself you need to learn how to do this or you may as well pay a shop to make the cabinets for you. You can also do a Google search on bow front cabinets or arched face frames and you will find some pretty good examples of how to do this kind of work. Good Luck and have fun.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Old School
cabinetman's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 75

There are several ways to make bow fronts or curved sections. You could use bending plywood that is sold specifically made to bend, which once in place can be veneered. Or, plywood can be kerfed on the backside and bent. Fronts can be done in solid wood and "coopered" to form the curve.

For doors and faceframes, solid wood can be cut from stock on the curve with a bandsaw, or can be made with thin strips of the wood glued up to a form to create a "bent lamination". Wood can be soaked or steamed to achieve a curve. I prefer the glued up method as it affords less "spring back".

If you describe exactly what you have in mind, You'll more than likely be able to get "talked through" the process.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hanging 9" kitchen cabinet (wall) and hit air duct, no stud phunam04 Building & Construction 4 06-16-2009 10:08 PM
Type of box / how to feed power for in (face of) cabinet outlets? jamiedolan Electrical 2 03-18-2009 11:13 PM
pocket hole joinery for cabinet doors? Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD Carpentry 4 03-09-2009 05:26 PM
Installing kitchen cabinet in precise manner janny Carpentry 8 01-15-2008 10:59 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1