Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #1

Share |

Any way to splice joists together?

I have a 10'x10' kitchen I want to remodel. The entry off the living room is through an opening in a load bearing wall. The far wall is an exterior wall. You would think that there would be joists spanning this 10' from load bearing wall to exterior wall, BUT, there is an "extra" beam 4' from, and parallel to, the entry wall. The joists from the living room extend over the entry wall beam to about a foot past this extra beam on the window side. the joists coming from the window wall are about 8' long and end about 2 feet past this extra beam on the entry side. I need to get rid of this extra beam for the kitchen renovation. My original plan was to try to sister the joists coming from the window wall with full length joists which would span to the entry wall beam. But I just wanted to ask...since I have about 2 feet of joist overlap, is there any splice plate product which I could simply anchor to and through this overlap, to get both joists to act as one? I am pretty sure the physics don't allow for that kind of thing, but I thought i would ask before I went the sister route. Any other suggestions are very welcome! Thanks.

tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #2

pictures?

there are lots of ways to splice joists and i bet the physics of it would surprise you.

jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

I have no idea what you are talking about, plan, plan, plan please, or at the least a sketch.

Andy.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #4

Here is a quick sketch of a reflected ceiling plan. You can see the overlap of the existing joists over the "extra" beam. I would ideally like to splice those ends together in place, so they act as a single span, and eliminate my need to sister them. The proposed sister joist is shown hatched. I should note that this beam is carrying virtually nothing above it. The house is a square box with simple shallow gable roof, this is an outside corner, and there is nothing exotic happening above it that would require a beam...only two layers of subfloor plywood. The house was not always a house, so there may have been a need for it in the past, but there certainly is not now. Plans call for the area above it to become a storage area. Sooo...any creative ideas for splicing these joists together? I appreciate any quick replies in that I will be addressing this issue this weekend. I will try to follow up with more pictures tonight. NOTE: I am going by memory here this morning, so the 18" overlap over the extra beam for one set of joists may be a little less. It is at least a foot though. Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Any way to splice joists together?-kitchen-ceiling-plan001.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

showed this sketch to an architect friend of mine, and, though he wanted to see the actual condition, he was of the opinion that I could probably just do 2 rows of 4 carriage bolts, preferably with a 16 ga. mtl plate each side, and some big washers in the area of overlap and splice the joists together without the sister joist. That would be great! Anybody agree or disagree with him? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Residential Designer

It would probably be fine but just using 2x6 instead of eights sistered on with 16d nails staggered 8" O.C. would do the trick and be a lot faster I think.

That span of only 10' @12" O.C. would fine with 2X6s. Heck, 2X4 meet the criteria but I would go with 6s.

Andy.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #7

Thanks. The trick is how do I get the sisters up into the space? With that beam there, I can't maneuver the 2x6's to where they need to go. I can't take the beam down and then sister the joist, right? I need to get it in place before taking the beam down. If I can just splice the existing joists together, that makes it easier, I think, though a bit more expensive.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Residential Designer

Is the offending beam under the joists or over? Can you remove the lid or you don't want to?
Do you have access to the area above the kitchen and the beam from above?

Andy.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #9

The beam is below the joists, and I would like to keep the subfloor above the joists intact. I have complete access from below. The space above is wide open, but like I said, I would prefer to not take up the floor. This is why I latched onto the splicing idea.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Residential Designer

Wait a minute, there is a second floor above the area?
That would put a different complexion on the problem, is it living space or storage space?

Andy.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #11

Yes, the "attic" above will be transformed into living space at some time in the future. Teh area above that kitchen would still be used as a storage room.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
I have gas!

Is the wall that has the "opening for entry to kitchen" a bearing wall?
Something doesn't make sense here.
sixeightten (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #13

Yes. That wall with the entry opening in it runs the whole width of the house and, I believe, is a bearing wall. The header of that entry is two 2x12's sandwiched together, which is probably overkill, since the opening width is maybe 7-8' wide. The "extra" beam in my sketch spanned only the width of the kitchen area. There is no beam or bearing wall along its axis anywhere beyond the wall it runs into. I will be doing some more demo tonight, to verify my beliefs
Old 04-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Residential Designer

If it were me I would demo the lid, make sure the spliced joists were nailed together, cut out the beam and install new 2X8s from below then re-drywall the lid.
Quick and easy, done.

Andy.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Civil Engineer

I think it is interesting that you are actually getting design suggestions with specific recommendations for sizing without any apparent knowledge of the loading on the beams and joists. You really should get this designed by a professional engineer or architect. Splicing joists is much more complicated than simply nailing them together, replacing the joists may be expensive and complex, and sistering on a joist requires careful detailing of the connections to the existing joists. You are also going to need a permit, which will probably require design plans, and if your town is like my town, the plans need to be stamped by a professional.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote